Pages

Monday, January 4, 2010

chicken noodle soup


 I have a cold.  I spent a wonderful New Years with family in Oklahoma, where I enjoyed the cold and the snow.  But the minute I landed in California, the sniffling commenced.  I seriously think I may be allergic to the West Coast.

As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing better for a cold than a hot bowl of chicken noodle soup with a slice of cornbread.  I like this recipe because it's surprisingly flavorful for the small amount of ingredients that go in it, and it's a snap to fix.  The smell of this soup filling my house has made me feel better already. :-)

First, chop up a small amount of onion for flavor, a few carrots, and a few celery ribs.


Toss these in a pot with some minced garlic and about a pound of chicken breasts, cut into small pieces.  Saute the vegetables and chicken in 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter (I used Smart Balance Light - it's dairy free).



After 5 minutes of sauteing, stir in 1/4 cup of flour, 1 teaspoon basil, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, and a few shakes of black pepper.


 Then add 3 cans of chicken broth (14 1/2 oz. each) and 1 (14 1/2 oz) can of diced tomatoes, undrained.  Stir everything together and bring to a boil.

Once you get the soup good and boiling, lower the heat and put a lid on it for an hour.  After it's good and simmered, stir in a handful or two of pasta.  I generally throw in spiral pasta, but this time I used up some bowtie.  Simmer for another 15 minutes or so until the pasta is done.


Quick Method:  I know that not everyone has the time or inclination to sit around for an hour and wait for their soup to simmer.  If that's you, and you've got some pre-cooked chicken, then try this method.  Saute only the veggies.  Add the flour, spices, chicken broth, and diced tomatoes, and bring to a boil.  As soon as your veggies are tender, throw in pre-cooked chicken and the pasta and boil until done.

Chicken Noodle Soup
  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 small onion, chopped
  • 3 celery ribs, chopped
  • 3 carrots, sliced
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 tsp. basil
  • 1/2 tsp. oregano
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 3 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) chicken broth
  • 1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 6 oz. pasta

In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion, celery, carrots and garlic in butter and oil for 5 minutes.  Stir in the flour, basil, oregano, and pepper until blended.  Gradually add broth and tomatoes.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.  Return to a boil; stir in the pasta.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until pasta is tender.  Yields 9 (1 cup) servings.

Nutrition: 193 cal, 8g fat (3g sat), 36mg cholesterol, 652mg sodium, 16g carbs, 2g fiber, 15g protein.

Note: I modified this recipe off of the recipe for Curly Noodle Chicken Soup in Taste of Home's Light and Tasty 2003.  I used their nutritional calculations.

1 comment:

  1. Looks so comforting and yummy! Love the pictures too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails