Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

hearty potato soup


 On Monday, it rained.  On Tuesday, it rained and blew.  On Wednesday, it rained and blew and hailed.  Today, it just rained.  Needless to say, it's cold and wet here.

In this kind of weather, there's nothing like soup to warm the soul.  I'm a huge fan of soup, as you've probably noticed, and I particularly like this one.  It's creamy, hearty, filling, and perfect with a side of bread or served as a side with a grilled chicken breast.  It just does an amazing job of warming you up.


So here are our main players - potatoes, carrots, and celery.  You can modify the number of each that you use, but I suggest something along the lines of 6 medium potatoes, 3 carrots, and 5 celery stalks.  Peel the potatoes and carrots, rinse everything off, and then dice everything (see below).



Put these veggies in a large stockpot with 2 quarts of water (yes, it's important to measure the amount of water you use - you'll see why).  Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.  Once it's done cooking, you want to drain the liquid out, but don't throw it away!  Save that veggie stock!  My suggestion for this is to put a strainer inside a large mixing bowl and just dump everything in there.


But I'm getting ahead of myself.  Sorry about that.

While those veggies are cooking, chop up some onion (I used half of a large onion).



Dump the chopped onion in a skillet with a few tablespoons of butter.  The recipe technically calls for 6 tablespoons, but I'm of the opinion that you can use as much as you feel necessary.  I don't even measure...I just dump it in.


Saute the onion in the butter until it's soft.  Then stir in about 6 tablespoons of flour, at least one teaspoon of salt (I generally use 2), and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper.



That's a horrible picture!  Ick.  But, as you can see, the flour more than soaks up the butter.  So we need liquid.  Slowly...slowly...add 1 1/2 cups of milk (or milk substitute) to the flour mixture and stir it up.  I used almond milk.  Your goal is to get a smooth, creamy sauce going.  Don't be afraid if at first it looks lumpy.  It won't stay that way.


When your flour and onion mixture looks nice and creamy like this, add it to the stockpot with your vegetables and stir it up.  Now, here's were that reserved veggie liquid comes in.  Slowly...slowly...add the reserved veggie liquid.  Continue adding liquid until the soup is the consistency that you like it (you will most likely not use all of it).  Heat it all through, stirring to make sure you've got it all combined.  Then serve it up!



Hearty Potato Soup
  • 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 3 carrots, diced
  • 5 celery stalks, diced
  • 2 quarts water
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 6 T. butter
  • 6 T. flour
  • 1-2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups milk

In a large kettle, cook potatoes, carrots, and celery in water until tender, about 20 minutes.  Drain, reserving liquid.  Meanwhile, saute onion in butter until soft.  Stir in flour, salt, and pepper; gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened.  Gently stir in cooked vegetables.  Add 1 cup or more of reserved cooking liquid until soup is desired consistency.  Serves 8.

Nutrition (calculated using 6 T. Smart Balance Light and Silk soymilk): 287 cal, 5g fat, 1g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 734 mg. salt, 55g carbs, 6g fiber, 5g sugars, 6g protein, 77% vit. A, 34% vit. C, 13% calcium, 8% iron.


5 comments:

  1. MMM, I love potato soup and keep wanting to make it! You have motivated me to do so :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks yummy! When I saw the "rain, rain, rain" opening to your post, I figured you were in California; my daughter lives in Pasadena and says its the first time in 18 months she's heard thunder!

    Lovely potato chowder for a chilly night ... we have those in New Jersey! :-)

    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that looks so creamy and yummy. We are having "soup weather" too-- very cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my... you have no idea how badly I'd like a cup of that soup right now. Seriously... send it over!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband always talks about potato soup, I myself had never had it. I came across this recipe and decided to surprise him.

    I was surprised, it was lovely,I absolutely loved it. It will be a regular in our house from now on.

    The only thing I changed was I used 1/2 and 1/2 instead of the milk. (mother-in-law's idea)

    FANTASTIC!!!Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails