Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2010

oven roasted asparagus


 I have a confession.  I love watching Veggie Tales.

And I don't even have kids.

Yep, I love Veggie Tales.  When I need to remind myself to be content, I pop in "Madam Blueberry."  When I need the courage to stand up for what I believe in, I think of "Rad, Shack, and Benny."  And I consider The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything one of my favorite movies.

Has anyone seen my hairbrush? :-)  Just kidding.

And my favorite character...Junior Asparagus.


So in honor of Junior Asparagus, the cutest veggie of them all, I'm showcasing my favorite way to prepare and serve asparagus.  Just make sure your asparagus isn't wearing a cute yellow hat and singing about God...we wouldn't want to stick that one in the oven.

Oven roasted asparagus is easy and elegant, so I often make it as a side dish when we have company over.  I think it's best with skinny asparagus...not limp...skinny.


Wash your asparagus and then trim it.  Trimming is a snap...literally!  Hold the asparagus by both ends and bend it - the woody part will just snap right off!

Place your asparagus in a single layer on a foil-lined cookie sheet.  Drizzle some olive oil over the top.


At this point you can get creative.  I generally add a heaping teaspoon of minced garlic and salt and pepper to taste.  I've also been known to toss on cayenne pepper, garlic salt, and various flavors of Mrs. Dash seasoning.


Broil the asparagus in your oven until the "tree ends" turn crispy and the rest is crisp-tender.  This generally takes about 10 minutes or so, but make sure you watch it carefully.  You don't want it to burn!


Let cool for a minute or two, and then serve!


Oven Roasted Asparagus

1 lb. asparagus, trimmed
1 T. olive oil
1 t. garlic
salt and pepper (and any other spices) to taste

Place asparagus spears in single layer on foil-lined cookie sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle garlic over top. Season to taste.  Broil in oven for 10 minutes, or until crisp-tender.  Serves 6.

Nutrition: 36 cal, 2g fat, 0g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 389mg sodium, 3g carbs, 2g fiber, 1g sugar, 2g protein, 11% vit. A, 7% vit. C, 2% calcium, 9% iron.

Linked up with This Week's Cravings: Thanksgiving Dinner!

5 comments:

  1. Hey, girly! This is one of my FAVORITE things to eat! Just found your blog.....will have to start stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum - loved baked asparagus!

    And who doesn't love Veggie Tales?!?! I can't wait to start watching them with our kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Yummy!

    I love Veggie Tales too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yumm! Followed your link from a recipe on Tasty Kitchen & am glad I did!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails