Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

simply delicious pot roast


 There are lots of recipes out there for pot roast.  I've tried many of them.  And yet...I keep coming back to this one.  For one, it's my mother's recipe.  But there's other appeals as well - it's got only 5 ingredients, takes less than five minutes to prepare, goes in a slow cooker, and tastes so amazing that my husband put the barbecue sauce back in the refrigerator without ever having to use it.  For him to choose no barbecue sauce...well, let me just tell you, it had better be good meat.

First, you spray the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray...get it nice and coated.


Then add a lean cut of roast beef, first making a cut in the thickest part of the meat.  The size of beef you choose will depend on the size of your slow cooker - obviously, you want it to fit inside.  I generally choose anything inexpensive that has "loin" in its name.  Those work really well for pot roasts.


Add 1/4 cup water...


...an envelope of onion soup mix...


...one onion, cut into large chunks...


...and a can of cream of mushroom soup.

A note about the cream of mushroom soup - if you are going dairy free (or just don't have a can of soup lying around), do what I did.  Make your own!  I found a great recipe for "cream-of-something soup" on Tasty Kitchen.  For this pot roast, I used beef broth and didn't add any mushrooms at all...it only took me 3 minutes, and it worked great! 


At this point, put the lid on and set your slow cooker to high.  After one hour, switch the setting to low and cook for an additional 7 hours (so 8 hours of total cooking time).  When you open the lid for dinner, here's what you'll see:


Hmmmmm....that is one tasty gravy!

Okay, I know...you are probably wondering where all the veggies are.  Don't most pot roasts have veggies?  If you feel the need to put carrots and potatoes in the crock pot with the meat, go right ahead.  Just make sure you put them underneath the meat (carrots on the bottom).  I don't do it because my slow cooker isn't all that big and because I like keeping the meat separate - that way I can use it for sandwiches later on.

I did, however, roast some veggies in the oven for this particular meal.  I mixed some carrots and potatoes in a bowl with a smidgen of olive oil and a few shakes of herbs.


I spread these on a lined cookie sheet and baked at 350 degrees, stirring every so often to keep them from sticking.


And so there you have it.  Tonight's dinner.  And it was soooo easy!

Don't worry...you won't need the barbecue sauce.


Simply Delicious Pot Roast

Lean cut of beef (anything that has "loin" in its name)
1/4 cup water
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 onion, cut in large chunks
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Spray crock pot with cooking spray.  Make a cut in the thickest part of the meat and place it in the crock pot.  Add the rest of the ingredients in the order listed.  Cook on high for one hour.  Cook on low for an additional seven hours.

8 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I love the idea of roasted vegetables with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pot roast cooked in the crock pot. It is always tender and full of flavor. We are away on a little mini vacation this week:) Come join me for Crock Pot Wednesday next week. I'd love to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, I love pot roast! I will have to try this recipe with the hubs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Comfort cooking at its best! "Tasty gravy" is an understatement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a lot! Now I am hungry. LOL. I think the onion soup thing must be a parent thing. Because that is how my mom did it too. I do mine basically the same way, but I just throw my roast in the crock-pot (any roast seems to do find) dump on the onion soup mix and about 1 cup of water. If I have time I sprinkle the meat with garlic and pepper. Cook on low for about 8 hours. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmm - pot roast is one of my favorite meals of all time! I love the simplicity of your recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pot roast! It looks yummy. I have never tried it with cream of mushroom soup but I bet it would be great.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails