Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

4-ingredient peanut butter cookies

 

I'm one of those people who loves mail (e-mail, snail mail, blog comments, etc.) and who really loves surprises.  As a result, when I returned from my week in Mexico, I was ecstatic to find a surprise package from one of my favorite companies in the world...Gooseberry Patch!

For those who have never heard of it, Gooseberry Patch is a company founded by two best friends in Ohio who loved all things country.  They began a mail order catalog and have since transformed their company into a cookbook collector's delight.  Every cookbook they publish is filled with tried-and-true recipes, kitchen tips, and artsy illustrations that I find addicting - I tend to read their cookbooks straight through whenever I get one!

Gooseberry Patch also has a blog, where they post fun recipes, stories, and profiles of other food bloggers.  Recently their blog had a contest - submit a recipe for consideration in a Gooseberry Patch cookbook, and you could win their new "bookazine."  I submitted my chocolate cranberry cheesecake recipe, and my name was drawn!

Because I was in Mexico and not keeping up with their blog updates, I had no idea that I was a winner until I got home to find this...

 

How incredibly cool is it that they would take the time to write a personalized note?!?  I love them!  And this "bookazine" is delightful.  It's 112 pages of fabulous recipes and great photos.  Here are a few examples of what's hidden inside (please excuse my horrible photography...it doesn't do justice to the book)... 



I highly encourage you to visit your local magazine stand and take a look at this fantastic cookbook.  Until then, let me share with you what's on page 33 - Soft Peanut Butter Cookies!

These cookies only take 4 ingredients: 1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup sugar, 1 egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.  I love this recipe...I didn't have to go buy a thing.

 

First, lightly beat the egg in a mixing bowl.



Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.



Shape into balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet (if you can resist eating the dough first).




Use a fork to make a criss-crossed pattern on top of the cookies.  I found it best to dip the fork in water between cookies so that it wouldn't stick.



Pop in the oven and bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes. 



Dip in milk for maximum enjoyment. :-)




These cookies are so good, and they're also gluten free and perfect for the no-fun wheat-free elimination diet I'm on right now.  Thanks Gooseberry Patch!!!

Nutrition: (I don't think I want to know...equal parts peanut butter and sugar?  yikes!)

This recipe was proudly linked to Foodie Friday!

13 comments:

  1. I am trying to keep my fat and calories low... do you think that low fat peanut butter... or maybe even an almond butter with splenda and egg whites only would work too??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn - I did some calculations for you. The recipe yields 24 cookies. Using regular peanut butter and a whole egg, each cookie has 110 calories and 6 grams of fat (I knew I didn't want to know!). :-) If you use low fat peanut butter and 2 egg whites (in place of a whole egg), each cookie only yields 62 calories and 2 grams of fat. I think it would probably work just as well - let me know if you try that so that I can include your thoughts on the original post!

    I thought about using almond butter, but the consistency tends to be more "goopy," so I didn't think it would work as well. I don't use Splenda because of the digestive problems it causes (e-mail me for more info on that if you are interested).

    Thanks for asking how to make this lighter! I normally make them lighter myself, but right now I'm supposed to be avoiding high fructose corn syrup (commonly in low fat peanut butter). I also could stand to gain some weight, so I went with the original version. I look forward to hearing how the low fat one works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughters got this recipe from a friend probably 20 years ago. One daughter did a 4-H demonstration on it. We loved them, so quick and easy.

    You blog design is fresh and very creative. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulation on your win. How exciting! I will have to explore their blog and look for your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this cookie recipe! Congrats on the win - that is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! You can't go wrong with PB cookies! And I love how easy these are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family loves these. I haven't made them in a while....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a couple of family members who are going to love these cookies. Thanks for sharing the recipe, and congratulations!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  9. welcome back and Congratulations!! So exciting!

    --yulian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness, it is the chocolate cranberry cheesecake won!! We should celebrate it!!!

    --yulian

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so amazed that something so yummy-looking can only be made of 4 ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the Gooseberry love, Kristen! Is it our imagination or did your blog get a makeover? Love the look. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails