Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

adventures of an elimination diet

While in Mexico, I saw a lot of places called taquerias.  These places looked wonderful, especially the larger ones with the cute little Coca Cola umbrellas (yes, I choose restaurants based on their cuteness factor...don't judge).


Because the particular taqueria in the picture above had Coca Cola umbrellas, my carload of friends stopped there.  And it wasn't even my idea!  Apparently, I'm not the only one who likes the cute umbrellas...or the Coca Cola.


This meal looked absolutely heavenly.  One person got quesadillas...


...the rest got tacos...


...and then there was my meal.


Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I was on an elimination diet.  A gross, no-fun, no fruits, no veggies, no wheat elimination diet (thank you, doctor!).  What you see above...cold rice and lunch meat.  :-)

I was on this diet the whole time I was in Mexico.  Ironically, as a result, I never ate any Mexican food.  It was a sad, sad existence...

Okay, okay, it wasn't that bad.  I'm really okay with it - no hard feelings.  But by the time I got back, after eating a full week of cold rice and lunch meat, I was really ready for something better!  But what is there to eat when you are on an elimination diet?

Well, first I tried putting my rice cooker to good use.  I threw in some rice, water, tuna, salt, pepper, and margarine.  The verdict...gross.


 The one good thing I learned from the experience is that if you forget to put the lid on your rice cooker, it still makes rice.  Who knew?

My next venture was a "smoked" pork loin.


I sprinkled a pork loin liberally with salt, fresh ground black pepper, and cumin.  Then I added a splash of lime juice and a couple of tablespoons of liquid smoke.  I topped it off with a few slices of onion and a clove of garlic (which I removed before eating).



I wrapped it all up in foil and cooked on low in my slow cooker for 6 hours.   


The verdict...excellent flavor but not as moist as I would like.


I'll probably make it again...add a little water...cook it a little longer.  After a few kinks are worked out, I think it could be an excellent dish (great taco filling!).

I thoroughly enjoyed my "smoked" pork loin until about the 5th straight meal of it...then I turned to my facebook fans for more ideas.  What do you eat when you can't eat anything?  They had some excellent suggestions!

Lisa suggested chicken and rice, chicken and potatoes, and omelets, to name a few.  Chau offered a tagine and French Daube (two meals I will admit that I've never heard of, but they sound absolutely wonderful based on her descriptions).  Connie's wine-smothered chicken dish made my mouth water to just think about.  In the end, though, it all came down to what I had in the pantry.  So, I made a combination of Kristen's, Jennifer's, and Linda's suggestions - a breakfast quiche potato pie thingy.

I really should think of another name.

I mixed up 2 eggs (all I had left), about 1/2 cup rice flour, a tablespoon margarine, salt, pepper, 2 shredded potatoes, my leftover "smoked" pork loin (about 1/2 cup), about 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, and about 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk.  I threw it all in a pie dish, topped it off with some crumbled bacon, and baked at 350 degrees until it was done.   


 The verdict...it may be an odd combination of ingredients but it was absolute heaven to my taste buds!  I was worried that I may be slightly biased after being deprived of taste for so long, so I let my husband try it...he got seconds. :-)


I think we found a winner!  Now all we need is that new name...

For my final adventure of the week, I experimented with cocoa powder and rice flour and came up with chocolate rice muffins.  I mixed 1 egg, 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 2 T. sugar, 2 T. canola oil, 1 cup Bob's Red Mill white rice flour, 2 t. baking powder, 1/2 t. salt, 1 t. vanilla, and 2 T. cocoa powder.  I then baked in a greased muffin tin at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes.


The verdict...these aren't incredibly sweet (my diet wouldn't allow me to up the sugar content), but they did hit the spot, especially with a little melted butter on them.  If you want them sweet, add another tablespoon of sugar and some mini chocolate chips...yum!

Thanks for joining me on this weeks episode of What to Eat When You Can't Eat Anything.  I hope you never have to become a contestant, but if you do, at least now you know not to stick tuna in your rice cooker.  It's going to take a while to erase that experience from my memory...



7 comments:

  1. Very cool! That quiche looks yummy. That is such a total bummer you couldn't have any food in Mexico! :-( But now you can make up for lost time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you heart! What a hard diet to follow. But you have come up with some tasty recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully it will get easier - but you are so creative, you are making some excellent dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What unusual combinations! I love it! Definitely going to be trying some of these, even though I don't "have to" for dietary reasons. The cocoa-rice muffins got to click (two of my favorite things) but the rest don't look too shabby either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, when I saw the term Elimination Diet and a Mexican restaurant, I thought you were going another direction. :) Enjoyed the post and I like rice flour and almond milk also.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain and I don't think it ever gets better. After some bad health issues, I discovered that I can't have any grains including oatmeal, rice and corn. Nor can I have sugar because of diabetes. Then I find out that I'm severly allergic to pork, beef, turkey and salmon. That leaves me with chicken and lobster. Can't stand lobster! So how can I fix my chicken today. My poor 3 boys I feel really bad for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad I found your muffin recipe at tasty kitchen...we are new to the gluten free journey for my 2 year old. It looks easy without too many new ingredients to buy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails