Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

almost corn tortillas


I've had a dilemma for quite some time now...I love the taste of corn tortillas but the texture of flour tortillas.

When fresh, corn tortillas have that wonderful corn flavor that gives such dimension to dishes like enchiladas.  On the other hand, they also have a difficult texture to work with (they are always splitting on me!).

When fresh, flour tortillas are one of the best things to sink your teeth into.  They, too, have a wonderful flavor, but it's that thick and pliable texture that really puts a feather in my cap.

Notice that in both of these statements, I said "when fresh."  That brings me to my other dilemma...I can't stand store bought tortillas.  They have dull flavor, a plastic-like texture, and just make me grumpy.

What's a girl to do with all of these dilemmas?

I decided to make my own, fresh tortillas.  And I decided to combine the best of both worlds in the process.  May I introduce you to my new best friend...almost corn tortillas.

Why almost?  Well, you'll see...

The cast of characters for these tortillas include 1/2 cup masa, 3/4 cup flour, 1 tablespoon oil, 2/3 cup water, and a dash of salt.


I combined all of these ingredients in a bowl until I got a soft dough.


Then I divided the dough into balls.  This recipe makes about eight 6-8 inch tortillas, but I've also made it into four thick rounds of flatbread as well (so good!).


If I were a cool person, I would have a tortilla press.  That would make life amazing.  But, I'm just me...so I flattened these out the hard way.

I flattened each ball with my hand and stuck each between two pieces of parchment paper.  Then I used a rolling pin to roll these into a circle...or amoeba shape, depending on how careful I was.


To cook, preheat a nonstick skillet on medium heat.  Throw the tortilla on the skillet and cook for about 30 seconds on each side (this leads to a nice and flexible tortilla).  Cook for a little longer if making flatbread rounds or if you want them a little more crispy.


These tortillas have a hint of that nice corn flavor but the flexible texture of a flour tortilla.  They are oh so good by themselves...


 ...and even better as chimichangas!


Almost Corn Tortillas

1/2 cup masa
3/4 cup flour
1 T. oil
2/3 cup water
dash salt

Mix ingredients until a soft dough forms.  Divide into 8 balls.  Flatten each ball of dough between two pieces of parchment paper and use a rolling pin to roll out (should be very thin and approximately 6-8 inches in diameter).  Cook on preheated nonstick skillet about 30 seconds on each side.

Nutrition: 84 cal, 2g fat, 0g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 14g carbs, 0g fibers, 0g sugars, 2g protein,0% vit. A, 1% calcium, 0% vit. C, 6% iron.

18 comments:

  1. Oh wow you make your own, I've never done that! But now that I am back in the midwest and not in CA or NM I have been missing the Mexican food. It's just not the same and I know that the lack of made from scratch tortillas probably has a lot to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fabulous & you make it seem so easy! Why buy any more tortillas when I can make them at home quick, easy and free of many preservatives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look very good and an easy way to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some masa in the cupboard. I really should try to do that! I have tried to do them 100 percent masa, but I wasn't very pleased with the outcome! This sounds like a good compromise. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea...I will have to try mixing things up a bit when I make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being gluten free I'm stuck with corn tortillas. The gluten free flour tortillas I have tried left a lot to be desired. I've only tried making them from scratch a couple of times. I admire you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great idea! I used to make corn tortillas at home when my kids were at home. I think I'd love your version!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay. This is genius! That photo at the top looks so delicious.
    Thanks for sharing, and for stopping by Life at the Zoo.

    XO*tricia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Kristin... you've outdone yourself here! Wow... these look amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That is very clever. I totally agree with you that I like the flavor of corn and texture of flour. Didn't know anyone else felt that way too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never would have thought this could be so easy! Thanks a ton for sharing--I am going to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. these look great! I have a recipe for flour tortillas that's so tasty we may never have store bought again.....
    I have some masa in the cupboard that needs to be used. This may end up on the agenda really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am definitely gonna give these a try! Thanks for sharing and have a blessed weekend!
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  14. These sound good and not too much trouble. I agree with you on the packaged tortillas... ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you so much for coming up with this! I have been making my own flour tortillas for years now, but hate making corn tortillas.-as soon as I get my hands on the masa flour I will try them! Will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been wanting to try make tortillas for a long time. They are a family favorite so I am definitely going to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of my kitchen goals for 2010 is to make my own tortillas. I might have to start with this recipes. Thanks for sharing and making it look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job on this!!
    We are doing the Gluten free thing and we SOOO miss flour tortilla's. I have a recipe for corn ones that I haven't tried yet.. so now you are inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails