Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

mexican braid

I made my husband the white meat and beans right before I left town for Washington, D.C.  I was going to be gone for two weeks, so I wanted him to have plenty of food.  I'm realistic, though...I knew he wouldn't want to eat beans for every meal.  In fact, if I'm really being realistic, I recognize that he would consider the white meat and beans a side dish and not a meal in itself.

Men.  (sigh)

Anyway, I knew there needed to be something else sitting in the refrigerator for him.  That something else needed to be tasty, healthy, and a perfect compliment to the bean dish that he was probably (incorrectly, I might add), eating as a side dish.  Just because I love him, I came up with this Mexican braid.


As a side note, I want to apologize for the quality of my photography in this post.  I was more concerned about packing for my trip than plating my food.  It happens...


I started by tossing into a nonstick skillet one pound of ground turkey, 1 can of Rotel, and one small onion (diced).  I cooked these until the turkey was browned and onion was tender.

Then, I added a cup of frozen corn and cooked until the corn was heated through.


Once my meat mixture was cooked, I prepared the bread.  I used two loaves of Rhodes white bread (you can find it in the freezer section), that I thawed according to package directions.  The thawing takes a few hours, so don't wait until the last minute!

I foiled and greased two large cookie sheets, and I rolled out one loaf of bread on each one.  I didn't worry so much about width and length - I just rolled until the bread dough was about 1/4 inch thick.  Then, I cut slanted slits in the dough on each side about three inches in (making sure I still had a good sized middle section).  I know that sounds a little vague, but maybe the picture will give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.


I put half of the meat filling in the middle of each.


Then I topped with cheese (I used pepper jack, but mozzarella or cheddar could also work).


I folded the short sides in, pinching to seal.  And then, starting with one end, I folded the flaps over the meat filling (alternating sides), giving the bread a "braided" effect.  Pinch any ends to seal.  You may also brush the top with egg whites if you want to give it a nice golden brown color after it bakes - I was personally too lazy for that.

 
I baked at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until it was golden brown.


And it's done!  This braid was fast and easy, and it made a great side dish to the white meat and beans.  After my husband tasted it, he decided that he liked it even better than the white meat and beans - he said it had more "kick."  Coming from him, that's a very good thing...


Mexican Braid
2 loaves Rhodes white bread, thawed according to package instructions
1 lb. ground turkey
1 can Rotel
1 onion, chopped
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
8 oz shredded pepper jack cheese

Brown turkey with Rotel and onion in a nonstick skillet.  Add corn and cook until heated through.  Roll out each loaf of dough (about 1/4 inch thick) onto a cookie sheet that has been foiled and greased.  Cut diagonal slits on each side of the dough about 1 inch apart and 3 inches deep.  Place 1/2 of meat mixture in the center of each rolled out loaf.  Top each loaf with 4 oz. of shredded cheese.  Fold in short sides of dough, pinching to seal.  Fold cut dough flaps over the top of the meat mixture, alternating sides, to create a braided pattern.  Pinch edges to seal.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until browned.  Makes 2 loaves, serving 16.

Note: This recipe could be easily halved and freezes well.

Nutrition: 249 cal, 9g fat, 3g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 37mg cholesterol, 483mg sodium, 27g carbs, 2g fiber, 3g sugars, 14g protein, 0% vit. A, 2% vit. C, 1% calcium, 2% iron.

This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday , Tasty Tuesday, and Tuesdays at the Table

18 comments:

  1. I have got to try this recipe, this looks delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks delicious. Must try

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very clever and delicious-looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat idea! I think I might try this with pizza toppings inside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pics! :D Looks like a fun recipe!


    Thank you for sharing!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a very fun recipe! I've done more of an "Italian" version of a braid, but this would be a nice change. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your braid looks sooo good! I am bookmarking this to try this. Thanks! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  8. Visiting from Tasty Tuesday. I make a stromboli like this and never thought to put a tex-mex spin on it. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that looks so delicous. And low fat. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks tasty! I'm going to think about doing something like that with gluten free dough. Not sure it's possible though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda - if you try it, let me know how it works! I've been experimenting with alternate forms of flour lately and would love to hear all of your tips. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I make a yummy stuffed bread braid. I posted it in "From my Kitchen" section on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...this sounds fantastic!! I am going to try this!!
    Thanks for your visit to my blog and for the anniversary wishes. I hope to see your prom and wedding pix in 27 years! :)
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Country Cook, thank you so much for writing about RO*TEL. We love this recipe and think you should enter it into our recipe contest for a chance to win $2,000. For more info visit http://www.rotelacrossamerica.com

    - The RO*TEL Across America Team

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails