Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

spicy peppered beef

Three day weekends are wonderful, but they are also exhausting.  I'm falling asleep as I sit here writing this...I'm so tired!  I look forward to sharing with you what I did this past weekend in future posts (it involves a fabulous vacation with my sister and her boyfriend all over northern California), but for now I'm going to just get to the basics.

The basics of beef, that is. :-)

After a long, tiring weekend like this one, the last thing I want to do is slave over a hot stove.  If you can identify with me, then this is the recipe for you.  It involves a slow cooker...a bit of beef...a smidgen of spices...and a lot of taste.


Let me introduce you to the cast of characters.  The star of the show is a slab of beef (I used a 2 1/2 pound beef chuck tender roast).  Any beef would do...or pork even.  This is a very versatile recipe.

The Oscar for the supporting roles goes to salt, Italian seasoning, thyme, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, white pepper, ground red pepper, and cayenne pepper.

Did someone say pepper?


Place your meat into a large slow cooker and pour a half cup of water over the top.  I recommend placing the meat with the fatty layer on top.  When it cooks, the fat will drizzle through the meat to flavor it.  What can I say...we like flavor in our house. 


Mix together 1 teaspoon each of the salt, Italian seasoning, thyme, paprika, and cumin.


Add to those spices 1/2 teaspoon each of garlic powder, freshly ground black pepper, ground red pepper, and white pepper.


Finally, finish off your spice mixture with 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.  Mix it up well!


Pour your spice mixture right over the top of your meat.


There's no need to rub it in (although you could if you wanted).  Just let it all rest on top, put the lid on, and cook for 7-8 hours on low.


And this is my favorite part...the waiting.  During those 7-8 hours, you can take a nap, read, watch TV, clean your house, work on a hobby, or just go to work knowing that you won't have to worry about dinner when you get home.  I love slow cookers!

When you take the lid off, this is what you will find...


...it's tender, it's juicy, and it's got quite the kick!

To ensure that the spices make it into each bite, place your cooked meat and all of the juices in a dish and shred with two forks..


The result is a fabulous pile of deliciousness.


You can serve this any way you like.  Here's how we enjoyed it...

We served it plain alongside a baked potato and salad.


We enjoyed it in between two thick slices of bread, drizzled with barbecue sauce with homemade fries on the side.


We loved adding it to a simple pasta medley - it added such a nice burst of flavor!


And we really enjoyed crunching down on a delicious fresh salad topped with our warm, peppery beef.


We hope you had a wonderful weekend.  Now go relax with beef...it's what's for dinner!

Spicy Peppered Beef
2-3 pounds beef tenderloin, roast, or other favorite cut
1/2 cup water
1 t. each salt, Italian seasoning, thyme, paprika, and cumin
1/2 t. each garlic powder, black pepper, white pepper, and ground red pepper
1/4 t. cayenne pepper

Place beef in slow cooker, fatty side on top.  Pour water over the top.  Mix together all of the spices, and pour evenly over the top of the beef.  Cook on low for 7-8 hours.  Shred and mix with juices before serving.

Note: This spice rub would be amazing on any grilled meat!  Check out today's FoodBuzz daily special - a Cuisinart Griddler GR-4N.   It's a panini grill, flat press, contact grill, and griddle all in one! FoodBuzz has daily specials going all summer long - check back every day to find the best deals on kitchen ware!

This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday , Tasty Tuesday, and Tuesdays at the Table 

21 comments:

  1. I was just looking at this. Looks really yummy, tasty...now I'm hungry. :) :) :) I have a slower-cooker that was given to me by a friend. It's really old. It is probably as old as I am...or pretty close. It still works great :) ): Have a great week.
    Sincerely, Heather H :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, another beef dish!!
    I am waiting for the recipe for the dipping sauce!!

    yulian

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks awesome..making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks incredible! Wish I had some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always looking for crock pot recipes and this is a must try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks tasty and super easy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great - I have some beef in the freezer and couldn't decide what to do with it! Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, this looks delish! I'm looking for crockpot recipe for summer days. :D

    Thank you for sharing! Have a great day!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that's a versatile recipe! Beef...YUMM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm definitely going to try this one!! THis looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love crock pot recipes, especially in the summer when it's too hot too cook. Looks tasty! Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks wonderful! I am definetly going to bookmark this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this looks great! Saving it to make in a couple weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks yummy and I love all the ideas on ways to enjoy it! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a main dish that makes several meals like this one. Thanks for all the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for stopping by my blog! This recipe looks great. I use cumin a lot! And I always am on the lookout for another good crockpot recipe. Thanks! Judy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have done something similar with pork - delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds delicious - I love the spicing you have used!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! This looks delicious! Great post!! Thanks :)

    xxMK
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  20. Between how it was written, and the pics. It said it all!!!! What an awesome simple but yet powerful flavored recipes!!! My hat goes of to you. Please keep it coming!!!
    Please stop by, and take a look at the recipes I have posted & videos as well!! Once again BRAVO!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails