Pages

Sunday, May 9, 2010

white meat and beans

I've decided that my husband needs to eat more fiber. 

I'm not sure that he agrees.

Fiber doesn't have a good reputation, and I can understand why.  Wheat bran cereal doesn't exactly get me excited, so I can't expect my husband to go running towards it.

But beans...now those are a bit different.  Beans are an amazing food.  They've got protein, soluble fiber, and insoluble fiber...and they can be made to taste great.

So that was my challenge - to make my husband a fiber-filled bean dish that is hearty, satisfying, and extremely tasty. 



When we do eat beans, they are always red or black beans.  I decided to go with something different this time to add a bit of variety.  I got a pound of dry Great Northern beans and let them soak overnight.


The next morning I put my beans into my large (brand new) 6 quart slow cooker.  I love slow cooking - it makes the house smell amazing and makes my job really easy.

Over the beans, I poured 4 cups of chicken broth (I used reduced-sodium), 1 large chopped onion, 1 heaping teaspoon of minced garlic cloves, 2 teaspoons of ground cumin, 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves, and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper.


I mixed everything together and then turned the slow cooker on low for 7-8 hours.


At this point, I taste-tested my beans to see if I needed to adjust the spices.  I didn't think so, but it's always worth checking!

To make this dish hearty, I added a can of green chilies, a cup of chopped grilled chicken, and 1/2 of a link of turkey kielbasa (sliced up). 


I threw these in the pot and covered and cooked on low for another hour.

BAM!

(I've always wanted to do that...)


I love this dish served with a big piece of buttered cornbread.  My husband thinks it tastes best topped with salsa.  Either way, it makes white beans (and fiber!) taste good.


White Meat and Beans
1 lb. dry great northern beans
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 large onion, chopped
1 heaping t. minced garlic
2 t. ground cumin
1 1/2 t. oregano
1 t. ground coriander
1/8 t. ground cloves
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
4 oz. chopped green chilies
1 cup cooked, chopped chicken breast
1/2 link turkey kielbasa, sliced

Soak beans in water overnight; drain.  Place beans in slow cooker.  Cover with broth, onion, garlic, and seasonings.  Mix together and cook on low for 7-8 hours.  Add chilies, chicken, and kielbasa; cook for another hour.  Serves 6.

Nutrition: 359 cal, 4g fat, 1g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 32mg cholesterol, 755mg sodium, 53g carbs, 16g fiber, 4g sugars, 29g protein, 1% vit. A, 23% vit. C, 17% calcium, 31% iron.

This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday , Tasty Tuesday, and Tuesdays at the Table

11 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful, I must try it! And how funny that I am working on a crockpot beans recipe to post as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big bean lover so that recipe wasn't looking so good… til you threw the turkey kielbasa in. Anything with turkey kielbasa must taste great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this dish. Beans "anyway" are right up my alley. The fact that they can be cooked in a crock pot makes it all the better.
    Lovely blog you have here. I am going to enjoy exploring it.
    Gypsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to make this this week! We are all about beans in my house, I make them at least once a week. So healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Brenda! I hope you enjoy them. Let us know if you have any other serving suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was raised on white beans and still love them, this made me so hungry for them. Thanks for sharing, just delicious !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love white beans and this is comfort food to me! This is going to make me pull out the good ol' crockpot!

    Thanks for the nice comment about my cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nathan was talking about this bean dish tonight and it looks like you made a LOT for him:-)
    I will try this recipe since Erik asked for some healthy bean dish...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you more than met the challenge. This looks wonderful. It's my first visit to your blog and I love what you are doing here. I'll visit whenever I can. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of using both kinds of meats. DELICIOUS!!! is the only word that I can say.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails