Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

bird's nest breakfast

On most days, I would much rather have a hearty breakfast than a muffin or a bowl of cereal.  What can I say?  I'm a meat-and-potatoes kind of girl.  The problem with hearty breakfasts, though, is that they are generally complicated and take a lot of time to prepare.

Not this one.



This is one of those perfect fill-me-up-quick-with-little-fuss breakfasts.  And, it looks cute.  'Nuff said.

You need three ingredients - a potato, an egg, and some butter.  Really, though, you could do without the butter - just use cooking spray.  And you could use egg substitute or egg whites if you like.  And I'll bet that frozen hash browns would also work (although nothing beats the taste of a freshly shredded potato!). 


Shred your potato (or bust open that bag of frozen hash browns).


Heat a nonstick skillet on medium and melt a pat of butter (or spray cooking spray).


Plop your shredded potato on top of the butter and put a little hole in it to make it look like a nest.  Cook for 4-5 minutes.


Now that you've got a nest, plop an egg in it!


Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook for another 3-5 minutes.  Meanwhile, melt another pat of butter on the skillet.


Flip the entire nest over on top of the melted butter, and continue to cook until the egg is set and potatoes are done.


And voila!  You have a bird's nest...that's a breakfast!


Dig in!


Bird's Nest Breakfast
1 potato, shredded
1 egg
2 t. butter or margarine

Melt 1 t. butter on nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Place shredded potato on top of butter (arranging with a hole in the middle, like a nest); cook for 4-5 minutes.  Place egg inside hole and cook for another 3-5 minutes.  Melt other 1 t. butter on the skillet, and flip the nest over on top.  Cook for another 5 minutes or until egg is set and potatoes are cooked through.  Serve immediately.

Nutrition (calculated with Smart Balance Light): 387 cal, 9g fat, 3g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 211mg cholesterol, 146mg sodium, 69g carbs, 8g fiber, 3g sugar, 14g protein, 15% vit. A, 121% vit. C, 7% calcium, 21% iron.

IBS variation - peel potato and use cooking spray and egg whites.

Note: Check out today's FoodBuzz daily special - a Chef'sChoice AngleSelect Knife Sharpener.   FoodBuzz has daily specials going all summer long - check back every day to find the best deals on kitchen ware!

This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday , Tasty Tuesday, and Tuesdays at the Table

22 comments:

  1. Nice, looks very tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great breakfast, easy, tasty and filling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable and they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute and easy breakfast! I have been meaning to try making hash browns and this may be just the motivation I needed to finally try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so wonderful!!! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so yummy and easy! Can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So tasty and simple - I can't wait to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks delicious! My kind of breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea--and I like that it calls for a freshly shredded potato and not frozen hashbrowns!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love easy to make food... This I can do. My dad will like it too. We eat lots of hashbrowns and eggs in our house. We usually buy frozen hashbrowns...because anytime my dad makes them from scratch, they don't get cooked enough. I can't figure out what is being done right...I won't make them, because I always ruin them too. So it's frozen hashbrowns for us :) :) I'll give this recipe a try on Thursday when I do my next grocery shopping trip. Hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this..it looks so good! Here's an award for you:
    http://mandysrecipebox.blogspot.com/2010/06/blog-with-substance-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cool idea! What do use to "shred" your taters? Any kinda nifty kitchen gadget or just a regular grater?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Mandy! And TX Doodler - I use a salad shooter (it's a fast and easy way to shred cheese and veggies).

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is such a clever and easy idea for a fun breakfast!Thanks for linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great breakfast idea! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed stopping by your blog. Hope you will visit mine also.

    http://recipecorner-susanne.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. how neat is that , the grandkids would get a kick out of that
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the looks of this breakfast :) YUM!

    {by the way... you should try cooking with olive oil. I do all my baking with it, and breads too! It's the only oil in my house}

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dropped in from This week's Cravings. This looks cute and yummy, I'll be trying it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am def going to try this tomorrow morning! My whole family would love it. It is going straight into the try folder! www.mylifeunzipped.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW, this looks so yummy! I just found your blog from Moms Crazy Cooking! I am now a follower! =) I offer a recipe linky as well if you would like to stop by!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails