Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

corn waffles

We love a hearty breakfast in our house.  Most of the time, breakfast consists of cereal or toast.  Occasionally, though, I bust out this fabulous recipe from Taste of Home magazine, June 2008.  I can't even admit to modifying it (although I mean to try out a lower-fat version eventually).  As it is, it's low calorie and absolutely delicious - the best waffle we've ever had.


The secret ingredient of these waffles is a can of creamed corn.  The waffles don't necessarily taste like corn, but it does give them incredible flavor.  The other ingredients you'll need are 2 eggs, 2 cups flour, 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 cups milk, and 1/2 cup vegetable oil.


Right when you wake up (before you've taken your shower or fixed your hair or attempted eyeliner for the day), go into the kitchen and crack your eggs.  You want to place the egg whites in a small mixing bowl and let them sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before you start cooking.  Save the egg yolks in another bowl - those can go back in the fridge.


When you are ready to start cooking, plug in your waffle iron so that it can start preheating.  Then, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.


In a separate bowl, combine the egg yolks, milk, and corn.


Add the corn mixture to the flour mixture and mix until smooth.


Remember those egg whites you left out on the counter?  Grab those and beat them until stiff peaks form.


Gently fold the egg whites into the rest of your batter (don't use a whisk!).


Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into the hot waffle iron (your iron might take more or less, depending on size).


Cook until they are golden brown and beautiful!


These waffles are absolutely phenomenal.  I would have them every day of the week if I could.  If you do have leftovers, we suggest not reheating them in the microwave.  Instead, place them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and put in the oven.  Heat at about 300 degrees until the outsides are slightly crispy (the insides will still be nice and fluffy).

Someday I'm going to try replacing the egg yolks with egg substitute and replacing half of the oil with applesauce.  If you try it before I do, let me know how it goes.  Otherwise, enjoy one of the best waffles you'll ever eat!


Corn Waffles
(Taste of Home, June 2008)

2 eggs, separated
2 cups flour
2 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1 can cream-style corn
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Place egg whites in a small mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Combine the milk, corn, egg yolks, and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until combined.

Beat reserved egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.  Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls into a preheated waffle iron; bake according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown.  Serves 16.

Nutrition (calculated with skim milk): 156 cal, 8g fat, 1g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 27mg cholesterol, 254 sodium, 19g carbs, 1g fiber, 2g sugar, 4g protein, 3% vit. A, 10% calcium, 3% vit C, 6% iron.

Linked up with the inaugural edition of What's on the Menu Wednesday
Also linked with This Week's Cravings: Christmas Morning Breakfast and Brunch!
This Week's Cravings: Hidden Ingredient!

10 comments:

  1. I love these waffles! I have the same recipe from Taste of Home! (Great magazine, great cookbooks! Next to Gooseberry Patch of course!)

    I have really enjoyed reading your blog. You have posted some great recipes and tips.

    I have started a blog of my own. I think I'm off to a pretty good start, but any tips to make it better would be appreciated! Check it out and become a follower if you'd like!

    God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry...it would help if you had the URL huh? (blonde/gray momemt)
    www.akagramma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. THese look tasty! I have been wanting to try a different waffle recipe other than the one that came with the machine and I really like the idea of adding whipped egg whites to the batter!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am completely intrigued by the corn in the waffles, I must try these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting recipe... I was expecting cornmeal not cream corn in the batter. It will be fun to try.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Who would of ever thought of corn in waffles. They do look very delicious though!! Thanks for sharing. I think I may have to pick up a can of creamed corn at the store tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look delicious, thanks for sharing. I'm following now through MOMS CRAZY COOKING - follow back if you'd like. :-)

    http://helpfuldaddy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love waffles and these look awesome. I LOVE the idea of putting corn in the batter. Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bookmarked this recipe and can't wait to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails