Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

mango sorbet

I need to apologize in advance.  I'm about to post several recipes that are neither low-fat nor sympathetic to any alternative diet whatsoever.  It's that time of year when school is over, people get together, and they eat massive quantities of junk food so that they can put on their bikinis and complain about how fat they are.

I've attended several of these occasions already, and I've used it as an opportunity to try out my most delicious, most delectable, and most unhealthy recipes on my fellow Americans.  These types of situations only occur a few times a year, so I'm going to take advantage of them.

As a consolation to all of you who have been invited to these events and either feel guilty about the many mouthfuls of goodness you sneak or who harbor pent-up frustrations from declining all things delicious, I am going to first post one of my favorite summertime recipes.  It's delicious...it's delectable...and it's fat free!




The star of this show is the lovely mango.


Peel and chop about 2 pounds of mango (enough to make 3 cups).  The easiest way to chop a mango is to stand it on end and run your knife down the sides, leaving the core in the middle.


Once you've got the mango into wedges, simply use a knife to separate the peel from the flesh.


Place your mango pieces in a blender and add 1 cup sugar...


...1/2 cup water...


...and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.


Let 'er rip until smooth and sugar is dissolved, blending for about 1 minute.  Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.


It's best if you transfer your sorbet to a freezer container and freeze for at least an hour to let it firm up.  The wonderful thing about this sorbet, though, is that it stays smooth and creamy even after spending time in the freezer.  It reminds me more of a mango gelato than a sorbet.  It's absolutely delicious!


Mango Sorbet
3 cups chopped, peeled mangoes (also works with peaches)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 T. lemon juice

Combine mango, sugar, water, and lemon juice in a blender; process for about a minute, until sugar has dissolved.  Freeze in an ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions.  Transfer to a freezer container and freeze for one hour or until firm.  Serves 6.

Nutrition: 184 cal, trace fat, 0 cholesterol, 2mg sodium, 48 g. carbs, 2g fiber, trace protein.

Note: Have a hard time transferring your chopped mango to the blender?  Check out today's FoodBuzz daily special - a Chop and Scoop Board.   FoodBuzz has daily specials going all summer long - check back every day to find the best deals on kitchen ware!

This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday , Tasty Tuesday, and Tuesdays at the Table

10 comments:

  1. I love mango - this looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful recipe for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delish! I love anything with mango!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful. I spent a summer making sorbet and ice cream. I gained five pounds, but I'm still trying to decide whether or not it was worth it. ;-) SO YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love mango! can't wait to try this.
    Mickey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE mangos! This looks devine :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. Come join me for the inaugural edition of What's On the Menu Wednesday. I'd love for you to link up with Mister Linky. Thanks. I love mango sorbet. It's one of the main reasons that I now have a countertop ice cream freezer:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum!! This looks amazing!
    Thanks for the comment on the recipe boxes. I'm getting into the digital scrapbooking thing too, but don't think I'm organized enough to do recipe books too. Just trying to get old pictures scanned and into the computer is enough work..LOL!

    Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails