Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

oatmeal carmelitas

You can't make me calculate the nutritional info for these...I won't do it!

I won't!

Wild horses couldn't drag it from me! (name that movie...)


I will, however, say that the above picture just does not do these little beauties justice.  They are amazing.  A brown sugar and oatmeal layer topped with a chocolate layer topped with gooey caramel topped with more brown sugary goodness...oh my!

I got this recipe a few years ago when my neighbor locked herself out of her apartment.  I let her use my phone and hang out in my living room until the locksmith came.  In return, she made me these!  They were so good that I begged and begged for the recipe.  I am so glad she gave it to me.

To begin with, you're going to need some quick-cooking oatmeal, flour, salt, brown sugar, baking soda, and butter.


Place 3/4 cups of butter in a mixing bowl, stick it in a microwave, and melt it.


Add 1 cup flour...


...1 cup quick-cooking oats...


...3/4 cup brown sugar...


...and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt.


Mix together to form a crumbly mess of deliciousness.


Press half of this gooey mess into a 9x9 inch pan (or a pan of similar size).  Notice that I said half.  This is important - you'll want the other half later.


Toss your pan in the oven, and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  Then, pull it out and grab these two items:


Yes, that's right.  You want a cup (or slightly more, if you are like me) of chocolate chips, and a half cup of chopped pecans.  Sprinkle these babies right over the top of your oatmeal mixture.


And now for something amazing - combine 3 tablespoons of flour with 3/4 cup of caramel topping.


Spread your caramel mixture over the top of everything else and then proceed to lick the spoon you used to stir it up with...and the spatula you used to spread the caramel with...and then the bowl that you stirred it in.  And then ignore the fact that I ended everything in that previous sentence with a preposition.


Now, remember how you saved half of that oatmeal mixture?  Well, if you haven't eaten it already, sprinkle it over the top of your caramel.


YUM!  But don't eat it yet!

Bake 15-20 minutes longer at 350 until it's nice and golden.


But wait!  Don't eat yet!

You need to chill it for 1-2 hours.  Trust me!  This dessert is fabulous all hot and gooey...but it's also amazing after it's been chilled.  And, if you plan on cutting it into bars and serving individual pieces, you are going to want to chill it first.


Oatmeal Carmelitas
1 cup flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 t. soda
1/4 t. salt
3/4 cup margarine, melted
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
3 T. flour

In a large bowl, combine flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, soda, salt, and melted margarine.  Blend well at low speed to form crumbs.  Press half of crumbs into bottom of 9x9" pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips and pecans.  Blend caramel topping and 3 T. flour; pour over chocolate and pecans to cover.  Sprinkle with remaining crumbs.  Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until golden brown.  Chill 1-2 hours.  Cut into bars.

This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday , Tasty Tuesday, and Tuesdays at the Table

21 comments:

  1. hahaha...I was thinking I could do a few substitutions to make this healthier and then I got to the caramel topping part!!!
    These look so amazing! Bookmarked to be saved for a special occasion! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good thing those aren't in my house right now! They look irresistible. Chocolate and caramel? What a combination!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Those look delicious! And dangerous to make more than once or twice a year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Those look amazing (and no, we don't want to know the nutritional info on them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That looks totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness those look so delicious. I'm very, very glad you did not provide the nutritional information :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy smokes these look awesome at 7:45 am! LOL!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those do look amazing! Great pics and tutorial! Thanks for sharing!
    I'd love for you to add them to my other blog, It's A Blog Party, everyday I host a different linky party, Tuesday is Delicious Dishes.
    http://itsablogparty.com
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh.My.Goodness. Those look so good I can barely stand it. I will definitely be making some soon, with a couple small changes. I'm allergic to tree nuts so I'll use peanuts instead. And I'll use homemade caramel sauce 'cause I'm too cheap to buy storebought :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my word these look amazing! Cooled and packed as a treat or hot with ice cream...my goodness I can't stop thinking of ways to enjoy these!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made your recipe today and we loved it!!! It is very similar to a recipe on the back of the bag of Diamond Walnuts, but 1/2 the size, and of course with pecans instead of the walnuts they recommend! Very rich and yummy! A real treat - we needed to do some serious walking to burn all those calories, but it was worth every bite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristin, these were SOOOOOO good!!! And you are SOOOOOO funny! I'm sure you also meant to say, "And ignore the fact that I used a preposition to end every one of those sentences with." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow these look simply delicious! A must try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfection! Can't wait to try them.
    mickey

    ReplyDelete
  15. Left you an award over at my place, go pick it up :)
    Mickey @ http://monstermama-monstermama.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. These do look amazing! I cannot wait to try them out. I really wanted to eat the one right off your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I make these too! They are absolutely delicious and I think it would be a sin to calculate the nutritional facts on them! ha

    ReplyDelete
  18. What kind of flour would you use? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm new to baking and there are so many different kinds... :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Also can I ask, why do you use margarine and not butter?

    Thank you so much x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Sarah,
    I just use plain all-purpose flour. The only reason for using margarine instead of butter is to lighten things up a bit...butter is just fine!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails