Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2010

oat waffles

I love waffles.  They are my favorite weekend breakfast fare.  My favorites are definitely the show-stopping corn waffles I made a few weeks ago, but I also enjoy making these for a change.  They pack in an extra gram of fiber per waffle, and they can be made with gluten-free flour.


These waffles call for oat flour.  To make this, just pour 1 1/4 cups of quick-cooking oats into a blender and let 'er rip until they look like flour.


Mix the oat flour with a cup of all-purpose flour, 4 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.


In another bowl, mix 2 eggs, 1 3/4 cup milk (skim milk or non-dairy milk work fine), 2 tablespoons of canola oil, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.


Mix the contents of the two bowls together, making sure to not over stir.


Pour 1/2 cup of batter at a time into a waffle iron and cook until golden brown.


Enjoy your breakfast!


Oat Waffles
(modified from Taste of Home Light and Tasty Annual Recipes 2002)
1 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
1 cup flour (gluten free works fine)
4 t. baking powder
1 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups milk
2 T. oil
1 1/2 t. vanilla

Put oats in a blender and process until they become a flour-like texture.  Place in a bowl with flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.  In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla.  Combine dry and wet ingredients (don't over stir!).  Cook batter 1/2 cup at a time in a waffle iron.  Makes 8 waffles.

Nutrition: 178 cal, 6g fat, 1g sat fat, 54mg cholesterol, 307mg sodium, 24g carbs, 2g fiber, 7g protein.

This post is linked with Foodie Friday!

10 comments:

  1. I’ve given you an award! Please come by to collect it.

    http://angelfoodskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/07/sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. These would be a great reason to get up any morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOoooOO! ANother great waffle recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that certainly looks yummy! I like the added oats bit. :-) Comfort food.

    Good luck on raising your plants. The fact that they're alive is a good sign. :-) I've used straw as a mulch before also, and it certainly is prettier! but one thing I've noticed about straw is that unless you get all the seeds out, you're planting 'weed seeds' at the same time. At least carpet has no seeds. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending a sweet hello from Frog Hollow Farm and a big thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment - I really appreciate it! This waffle recipe does look good, and the oatmeal flour must give them a great flavor! I love the extra fiber too! I had been diagnosed with IBS as well, and was on the drug Zelnorm until they took it off the market. I find that watching what I eat has made a tremendous difference in my life - the fructose issue sounds reasonable though - too much sugar seems to be a culprit in my diet. Ciao, bella!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recipe cant wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why am I starving when I come to your blog! These waffles look amazinbg! ANd they would go so nicely with your last post... icecream! What a yummy combo!
    YOu have one of the most delicious blogs on the net!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh if only I had a waffle iron!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I may have to try these in the morning! They look really good and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made these as pancakes, technically, as I don't own a waffle iron. However, they tasted great anyway (although probably a thicker consistency than a waffle). I ate them plain, as I'm trying to cut out a lot of sugar and stuff like that from my diet. I substituted organic butter for the canola oil and Stevia for the sugar. They turned out great. It wasn't a chore to eat them plain, it tasted great even then. Although I'm sure they'd be amazing with syrup and/or fruits.

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails