Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

peanut butter and chip cookies


Eleven years ago today I met the love of my life.


To celebrate, I decided to make him cookies, and I let him pick out the recipe.  Being the smart cookie that he is, he went to my collection of Gooseberry Patch cookbooks, pulled out Country Baking, and picked out Peanut Butter & Chip Cookies.

These cookies intrigued me.  The ingredient list included a yellow cake mix.  I've used cake mixes to make cookies before, but the idea of a peanut butter and chocolate chip cookie made with a yellow cake mix just sounded weird enough to try.

Are these cookies allowed on my restricted diet?  No.

Did I eat the dough anyway?  Yes.

And it was great.  As usual, my taste tester knows what he's doing!

The ingredients: eggs, water, melted butter or margarine, peanut butter, packed brown sugar, a yellow cake mix, and chocolate chips.  May sound crazy, but they make a lovely combo!


In a large mixing bowl, combine the 2 eggs, 1/3 cup water, and 1/4 cup melted butter.  Add 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar.


Add 1 1/2 cups of peanut butter.  I was worried about using the organic "goopy" kind of peanut butter in this recipe, but it's all I had.  Everything turned out just fine!


Add half of the yellow cake mix.


Mix this all up until it's smooth!


Trade in your whisk for a spoon and add the rest of the cake mix and chocolate chips.  Stir until just combined.



Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.


The end result is better than I could have imagined.  They are not only beautiful but absolutely delicious.  A perfect cookie for my man. :-)



Peanut Butter & Chip Cookies
from Gooseberry Patch's Country Baking
2 eggs
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
1 1/2 cup peanut butter (natural peanut butter works fine)
1 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
18 1/4 oz. yellow cake mix, divided
12 oz. chocolate chips

Whisk together the eggs, water, margarine, peanut butter, brown sugar and half of the dry cake mix until smooth.  Stir in the remaining cake mix and the chocolate chips until just combined.  Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls on an ungreased cookie sheet, and bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.  Serves: a lot!

This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday , Tasty Tuesday, and Tuesdays at the Table

15 comments:

  1. These cookies look great! I never would have thought to put a yellow cake mix in peanut butter cookies! Going in my must try pile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! You make a lovely couple. The cookies look like some I will have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look delightful!!!!! And that's a beautiful picture of you two!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy, two great flavors rolled into one and baked till perfect, just like the two of you. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cookies look wonderful - and you can't beat peanut butter and chocolate together!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look yummy. I see you are by the GG bridge, that's where I live!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those cookies sound really good! Thanks for sharing the recipe--I have some GB cookbooks, but not that particular one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am printing this one. I just did a post in June making a strawberry shortcake cookie using a cake mix. It is just one mix, one egg and 1/2 C. butter and they get raves whenever I serve them. I want to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, thank you! A friend is coming over this evening to watch the HBO John Adams with me and I was trying to think of something for a treat (other than the usual DOTS) :-) I'll use a gluten-free cake mix and the rest of your recipe and we're good!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy for you two! Can't believe it's been 11 years!!!!

    These cookies looks so tasty - another great reason to always have cake mixes on hand :) And chocolat chips....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my dad would love these. He loves peanut butter cookies especially well..and with chocolate chips :) :) :) Yum. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    congrats on 11 years!! That's so wonderful :) :)

    Hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats! I would like to try your peanut butter cookies. Nice presentation too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy anniversary!! :D

    Peanut butter and chocolate is my favorite combination!! :D YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those cookies sure do look good! I love cake mix cookies, and this flavor combination sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I echo the other comments - 2 of my favorite items in one recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails