Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

baked taco shells


Who wants a taco?

Tacos are one of those delightfully easy meals to whip up, and most of us generally already have everything in the kitchen that we could want to make a good taco...everything, that is, except the taco shells.

I don't know about you, but I don't keep taco shells on hand.  When we want to eat tacos, I generally have to run to the store to pick up a package of shells.  Inevitably, most of the shells will be broken and all of them will be stale.

Kinda takes the fun out of tacos...

Today, I wanted to whip up some taco fixings for dinner, but I didn't feel like going to the store.  Here's what I did instead.

I wrapped foil around two rods on my oven rack (for cleanliness purposes).  Don't do this while the oven is hot...ouch!


I had some leftover corn tortillas in the refrigerator that I whipped out.  I placed my tortillas in the microwave for about 30 seconds to get them good and pliable.  Then, I draped them over my foiled oven rods.  I did this all without preheating the oven...worked just fine.


I baked these for about 10 minutes (or until crispy) at 400 degrees.  They turned out beautifully!


This post is linked to Foodie Friday and I'm Lovin' It

7 comments:

  1. Looks like a great alternative to the greasy version!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!
    We love tacos and fajita's but I like soft and my hubby likes hard shells - this would be great to do.. I only have to buy the soft now and make homemade!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever way to get a healthy version of a crispy taco shell. Good job!
    http://www.inspired2cook.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never would have thought of that--great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree - what a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great idea! my husband loves hard shell but i love soft shell. now we can do both :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails