Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

cilantro lime tostadas


After making the chicken tortilla soup, I had a lot of leftover corn tortillas on my hands.  I decided it was time to make tostadas, and I dug into my Tasty Kitchen recipe box for the perfect recipe...the Pioneer Woman's Tequila Lime Chicken.

Ree doesn't turn her chicken into tostadas...she serves it topped with Monterey Jack and all the fixings you could want.  She also uses tequila in her marinade.

I didn't do any of those things.

What can I say?  I'm a rebel.

Instead, I made a marinade for my chicken out of 1/2 cup lime juice, 2 teaspoons minced garlic, a teaspoon of salt, an overflowing half cup of cilantro (possibly more...I just started dumping it in), 1/2 cup of white wine, and 5 tablespoons olive oil.


Oh yeah...and a jalapeno.  Can't forget that!


I blended this cacophony of ingredients together until the result was a neon green liquid that made my husband give me a very strange look.  His look got stranger when he saw me pour it into a gallon-sized Ziplock bag and throw 4 chicken breasts in with it.

It was a look that said, "We're eating that?"

Yep, dear...we sure are.


I let my chicken marinate overnight and then all the next day until it was dinner time.  Then, I tossed it on the grill!


Since the whole purpose of making this recipe was to use up corn tortillas, I turned a few of them into baked tostada shells.  Simply put them on a cookie sheet, spray them with cooking spray, and sprinkle a little bit of salt on top of them.  Bake them at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until they get nice and crispy.


Now time for the toppings - I pulled out lettuce, avocado, shredded cheddar, sauteed onions and green peppers, and of course the grilled chicken (cut into strips).


The end result was a great summertime meal.



Now my only question is this...how in the world are you supposed to eat tostadas without making a mess?  This is definitely not something you want to attempt to eat on a first date, especially if you pile them as high as I did.

When it was time for leftovers, I learned my lesson.  Instead of tostadas, we baked some homemade taco shells and had cilantro lime tacos!


Cilantro Lime Tostadas (or tacos...or whatever!)
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup white wine
heaping 1/2 cup cilantro
2 t. minced garlic
1 t. salt
1 jalapeno, sliced
5 T. olive oil
4 chicken breasts
corn tortillas and tostada toppings

Place the first 6 ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.  Slowly pour in the olive oil, blending it in.  Pour marinade in a large Ziplock bag and add chicken breasts, turning over a few times to coat.  Refrigerate overnight, and then grill.

For tostadas, place corn tortillas on a cookie sheet; spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt.  Bake at 400 for 10 minutes or until crispy.  Top with strips of grilled chicken and toppings of your choice (lettuce, cheese, avocado, sour cream, salsa, etc).

10 comments:

  1. Oh, these look so amazing! I love mexican type food and this just fits the bill. I am going to have to definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a fabulous marinade! I love Mexican food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought to have white wine and lime juice in a chicken marinade before! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great, nice and gooey delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound perfect! And I bet they would go awesome next to a nice cold beer! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yumm...Can I come over for dinner? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like one tasty dinner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is going on my menu for this Sunday! It looks easy and there's not a whole lot to it. I like these recipes with few ingredients. :)

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails