Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

muffins on parade


Do you like muffins?  I like muffins.  I like muffins a lot.  They are the best kind of breakfast-on-the-go...filling, sweet, and perfectly satisfying.  It's like dessert for breakfast!

I recently discovered Bob's Red Mill white rice flour and have been playing around with it a lot.  I love it so much that I'll continue to buy it, even when my wheat-free experiment is through.  The rice gives it a natural sweetness that allows me to cut down on the amount I put into my recipes, and it's pretty darn inexpensive compared to other gluten-free flours.  If you are ever in the position of having to entertain a gluten-free guest, this flour (and the recipes I'm about to share) are the perfect way to do it.


There is a recipe for Sue's White Rice Muffins printed right on the bag:

1 egg
1/2 cup liquid (water, fruit juice, milk - I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
2 T. sugar
2 T. canola oil
1 cup Bob's Red Mill white rice flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt

Mix all ingredients together, pour into six greased muffin tins, and bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes.

This recipe produces some fine muffins - slightly sweet and perfect with some homemade jam.  But you know me...I have to experiment!


Chocolate Chip Rice Muffins

Add about a half cup of chocolate chips to the basic muffin recipe.


Double Chocolate Rice Muffins

Add 2 T. cocoa powder, 1 T. of sugar, and 1/4-1/2 cup of chocolate chips to the basic recipe.


Cinnamon and Sugar Rice Muffins

Mix 2 teaspoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon together.  After pouring muffin batter into pan, sprinkle the tops of each with the cinnamon/sugar mixture before baking.


Banana Rice Muffins

Mash half of a ripe banana and add to basic recipe, along with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.


Do I have a favorite so far?  It's hard to say.  As much as I love chocolate, I think I have to say banana.  The added banana makes the muffins so moist that they are hard to beat!

I've got it!  Next time I'll add chocolate chips to my banana muffins.  It can be a Chunky Monkey Rice Muffin.  Can't wait till breakfast! :-)

This recipe is linked to This Week's Cravings: Christmas Morning Breakfast and Brunch, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday , Tasty Tuesday, and Tuesdays at the Table

9 comments:

  1. Those look delicious! My daughter turned me on to a combination of white rice, potato starch, and tapioca flours for everything I bake. Wheat always makes me feel horrid, though I've never been officially tested as celiac. I figure I'll save the money and just eat gluten-free.

    I'll definitely make these muffins. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...you went to town with all the muffins! I've never tried rice flour. What a great alternative to wheat flour for baking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being gluten free I use rice flour a lot. These look YUMMY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those muffins look really yummy. I haven't gone gluten free...but I did buy a bag of that very flour your featured here. I heard it was a nice alternative to regular flour...AND it's supposed to be IBD friendly :) :) I use it mainly as a thickener for soups I've made in the past!!! Also used it instead of baking powder in a recipe...It only called for 1/2 teaspoon...so it worked well. It was baked oatmeal!!! Have a great day. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment on my blog. No idea why those two jars didn't seal, unless they're just skimping on the rubber on the lids these days. Could be. Who knows. Still love canning. So rewarding! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried it and it didn't work. I am sure it is my rice flour! I just went to an organic food shop and asked for rice flour and that is the one I used! The muffins really needed way more sugar which makes me wonder about your rice flour; why is it sweet?

    I will not give up I will try it again with different rice flour, your looks very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nadalein,

    I use white rice flour (not brown rice, etc.). I've had good luck with Bob's Red Mill's white rice flour as well as white rice flour that I've purchased at specialty shops. It could just be that our tastes are different, but I have quite the sweet tooth and find 2-3 T. to be plenty. I hope you find a flour that works!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For Sure... I will be making these and I printed about 20 other recipes today! i will be busy tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails