Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

double chocolate cheesecake ice cream - 100th post and Project Food Blog entry!

Wow...lots going on this post!  First of all, there's the star of the show...


Yes, that's right.  It's a double chocolate cheesecake ice cream.  And it's low fat.

Intrigued?

I thought you would be. :-)

But this post is even more special than that!  It's my 100th post and my official first entry into a contest called Project Food Blog, where I will be competing against over 1700 other food bloggers in special challenges designed to strengthen our abilities as food bloggers (and provide you with some entertainment).  You even get to vote (more on that in a later post).  Our first challenge is to define ourselves as food bloggers - what we are about and why we should go on in the competition.

I wonder if pictures speak louder than words...


For those who might be visiting (or judging!), I should probably do more to introduce myself and this blog rather than just showing you a picture of ice cream...although, that photo really does get to the heart of who I am.

I grew up loving foods like chicken fried steak, okra, mashed potatoes and cream gravy, chicken and noodles, waffles, hash browns, and hearty cream soups.  And I value healthy eating.

Are you confused?  I would be.  Most people would not consider hearty, home-cooked, country-style food to be remotely healthy.  But that's where I come in!

My goal in providing recipes has been to give you 100% excellent food that is full of flavor, easy to make, and won't be a stumbling block to your overall well being.  Unless otherwise stated, the recipes I post are my own creations - hearty comfort food at its nutritional best.  It may not all be Webster's definition of "healthy," but I do my best to ensure that at least 80% of the recipes are ones with nutritional information I'm not ashamed to post. :-)  I hope I am selected to continue on in the competition simply because I want to bring these values into future challenges, showcasing that good eating and healthy eating don't always have to be at odds, no matter the cuisine.

This ice cream is the perfect example!  The ingredient list includes skim milk, fat free sour cream, fat free cream cheese, chocolate chips, sugar, salt, and fat free sweetened condensed milk.  (Yes, yes, you can make it with full fat ingredients, and it tastes amazing.  But don't knock the fat free variety until you've had it...it's phenomenal!)


Pour one quart of milk into a saucepan.  Add 1 cup of sour cream, 1 cup of cream cheese, and a heaping 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips.  Heat on medium heat, stirring constantly, until the cream cheese and chocolate chips melt and are evenly mixed in.  Then, bring the mixture to a boil.



In a separate bowl, mix together 1 cup of egg substitute, 1 cup of sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. 


Lower the heat on the milk mixture to medium-low.  Very, very, very slowly, whisk the egg mixture into the milk mixture.  Cook and stir for about 2 minutes to let it thicken up.


It should be so thick that it coats your spoon.


Fill a bowl bigger than your saucepan with ice.  Place your saucepan on top of the ice and stir for about 5 minutes (we want a rapid cooling to take place).


Very, very, very slowly stir in your sweetened condensed milk, whisking it in well.  Then, put a lid on it and pop it in the refrigerator for several hours or until it's chilled. 


Freeze in an ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's instructions. 


For a filler, grab some chocolate graham crackers or a ready-made chocolate graham cracker crust.


Break your graham cracker into pieces and quickly fold it into the ice cream once it's done.


You can eat your ice cream immediately or place it in the freezer first for a firmer texture.  Try it with other mix-ins (like chocolate chunks) or smothered in fudge sauce.  It's a wonderful and incredibly chocolaty treat!

My favorite part?  Made with full fat ingredients, it has approximately 266 calories, 13 grams of fat, and 7 grams of saturated fat.  With fat free ingredients (the way it's shown here), each serving has only 181 calories, 3 grams of fat, and 2 grams of saturated fat. 


Double Chocolate Cheesecake Ice Cream
1 quart milk
8 oz. cream cheese
8 oz. sour cream
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup egg substitute
1 cup sugar
1/2 t. salt
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
broken chocolate graham crackers (optional)

Stir together milk, cream cheese, sour cream, and chocolate chips into a medium saucepan.  Heat on medium heat, stirring constantly until chocolate chips and cream cheese have melted.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low.

In a separate bowl, combine egg substitute, sugar, and salt.  Slowly whisk into milk mixture; cook and stir for about 2 minutes or until thickened.  Mixture should be thick enough to coat a spoon.  Place pan into a bowl filled with ice; stir constantly for 5 minutes.  Slowly whisk in sweetened condensed milk.  Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or until thoroughly chilled.

Freeze in an ice-cream freezer according to manufacturer's instructions.  Immediately after freezing, fold in graham crackers or other mix-ins.  Freeze for several hours to achieve a firm texture.  Serves 20.

Nutrition*: 181 cal, 3g fat, 2g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 3mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 32g carbs, 0g fiber, 30g sugars, 8g protein, 6% vit. A, 1% vit. C, 16% calcium, 2% iron.

*Nutritional stats calculated using fat free milk, fat free sour cream, fat free cream cheese, and egg substitute.  Nutritional information does not include chocolate graham cracker crust add-ins or fudge topping.  If you use full fat ingredients, each serving will contain approximately 266 cal, 13g fat, 7g sat fat, and 32mg cholesterol.

This recipe is linked to Potluck Sunday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday , Tasty Tuesday, and Tuesdays at the Table

22 comments:

  1. Yay! You posted it! Looks fantastic - hard to believe it's fat free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive! Good luck in the competition! This is my inspiration to make a batch of ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness!! You are making me hungry, and it's almost time for bed! That stuff looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks amazing! thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I gained 3 lbs just looking at the pictures. That looks too good to be low-fat. Yum! Thanks for sharing.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! The name alone had me intrigued! But now the picture's really making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your 100th post! The ice cream looks so yummy! PS Hope you can share @ my Prairie Story Recipe Swap Thursday - http://prairiestory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my this looks amazing! And it's low fat...it just doesn't get any better than that!! Congratulations on your 100th post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh... this is just to DIE for! You did good with this one... and it's your 100th post. Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like heaven! I just gave you a vote! You can check out my entry here: http://tinyurl.com/2ec2hlq Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous and sinful (yet not!) You've got my vote!

    If you have a sec, check out my entry here and good luck! http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/challenges/1/view/299

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on 100 posts! Also on featuring such a delicious ice cream... You have me drooling!
    I cast a vote for you and want to wish you good luck with PFB. If you want to check out my entry it's here: http://bit.ly/9JXLNL (or you can ignore this message and I'd be okay with that as well - I actually wouldn't know either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - I love making my own ice cream and this one looks like an absolute winner.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didnt think it was fatfree!! Love how you whip recipes and making it equally visually appetizing as the delish food. Thanks for sharing this recipe! Youve got my "heart" on you! Goodluck to the PFB! Hope we all make it to the next challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your right, I do love this post! thank you for your comment and your vote! You got my vote too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your 100th post!

    Your double chocolate cheesecake ice cream looks amazing. Thanks for the recipe, I am so excited to make some for myself. Best of luck in the competition. You've got my vote. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm wondering how this is low fat with cream cheese and sour cream listed as ingredients? Did you use fat free low fat products?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, as I wrote above, I used fat free sweetened condensed milk, fat free sour cream, fat free cream cheese, and skim milk to make the ice cream pictured above. The low fat nutritional stats reflect those ingredients. I have also included nutritional stats calculated using full fat ingredients.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails