Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

homemade taco seasoning

Store-bought taco seasonings are often more expensive than they are worth and contain ingredients that you might not always want (citric acid, high salt content, milk solids, hidden MSG, etc.).  The solution?  Make your own!


Making your own taco seasoning isn't rocket science.  There are numerous recipes floating around on the web and in cookbooks, and the end result is often very similar no matter which one you pick.

If you haven't yet tried homemade taco seasoning, I encourage you to play around with seasonings until you come up with something that suits you and your family.  In fact, feel free to use my recipe as a starting point.

Here's what we like - 2 teaspoons chili powder, 2 teaspoons cumin, 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and a dash of cayenne pepper.  Mix the seasonings together and sprinkle over one pound of cooked ground meat.


Mix together 1/2 cup water and a tablespoon of cornstarch.


Pour the water into the seasoned ground beef, stir it around and let it come to a boil.  In less than a minute, the water should be all soaked in, soaking the seasonings in with it.


My husband eats his taco meat in a burrito, stuffed with beans, rice, and cheese.


I turn mine into nachos with baked tortilla chips.


But what if you are in a fix and don't have any ground meat in the refrigerator?  What if the only meat you have are frozen chicken breasts?  No problem!  Check out this quick and absolutely delicious meal...

Taco-Lime Chicken - Pour a tablespoon of olive oil into a glass baking dish.  Place 4 frozen chicken breasts in the dish and then liberally splash lime juice over the top of each.  Sprinkle with homemade taco seasoning and bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.  Serve with beans and Mexican rice for an amazing dinner.

Homemade Taco Seasoning
2 t. each chili powder and cumin
1/2 t. each coriander, salt, oregano, and black pepper
dash cayenne pepper
1/2 cup water
1 T. cornstarch

Mix spices together and sprinkle over cooked ground meat.  In a separate bowl, mix together water and cornstarch.  Stir into ground meat and bring to a boil.  Cook and stir for one minute or until water has evaporated.

This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday , Tasty Tuesday, and Tuesdays at the Table

8 comments:

  1. I need to start making my own seasonings. Seriously. As you say, it's not rocket science but for some reason I don't do it. Thanks for reminding me how easy it is. And thank you for visiting my blog today! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love making homemade taco seasoning! When I found out how much 'junk' was in the seasoning packets, I was bound and determined to make my own. It's so nice and convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making my own seasonings, too! I especially like being able to customize the mixes to suit my family's tastes. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the inspiration. You are right, there is not reason not to make your own. Thanks.

    Plan B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. I am always needing taco seasoning and never have it. What a fabulous recipe. I can't wait to make the lime chicken. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious!! I especially like the taco-lime chicken!! So fresh and tasty sounding. I enjoy making my own spice mixes as well. In fact, I made some and gave them to a friend in little jars for a bridal shower gift! Here's what I did in case you're interested: http://lublink.org/alison/?p=42

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love making my own taco seasonings too! it's so easy. i'll definitely give yours a try. like you said, it's great to try different ones out to see what you like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wad just thinking of looking for a recipe for this. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails