Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

mama's potato salad

What is Labor Day weekend without a cookout?  And what is a cookout without potato salad?



My mom always made the best potato salad.  I'm sure many of us love our mother's recipes the best, but this one is truly special.  I think it may be the pimento...or celery seed...or the added bacon.  Whatever it is, it's a keeper.  I've never tried another that topped it!

This salad is incredibly easy make, especially if you take care of some of the prep (like boiling the potatoes and eggs) in advance.  It's also a great make-ahead dish.  In fact, I prefer it made ahead...it allows the flavors time to get nice and cozy with each other.

The first thing you do is mix together 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 tablespoon mustard, 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar, and 1/2 tablespoon sugar.  Now, I know most good cooks swear that real mayo is the only way to go...and I respect that.  But I have a confession.

I use Miracle Whip.

In fact, I use reduced fat Miracle Whip.

That's the way my mom did it, and this is Mama's Potato Salad after all.  And I just love Miracle Whip.  I can't help it.  I'll now go hang my head in shame...



Toss in a half teaspoon of celery seed, a quarter cup of sweet pickle relish, a quarter cup of pimentos, and a few dashes of salt and pepper.  Mix those in.


Now, finally, for the good stuff.  Add 1/4 cup diced onion, 2 chopped boiled eggs, and 4 pieces of bacon that have been cooked until they are extremely crispy and then crumbled.  Finally, the main ingredient...potatoes!  Toss in 4 medium potatoes that have been cooked, cooled, peeled, and diced.  (This is where advance prep comes in handy).



Fold everything together until the potatoes are evenly coated and then sprinkle with paprika before serving.  Easy, beautiful, and delicious.  Your mama would be proud. :-)



Mama's Potato Salad
4 medium cooked potatoes, cooled, peeled, and diced
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1/4 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup pimento, chopped
2 boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 t. celery seed
4 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
1/2 cup mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip!)
1/2 T. mustard
1/2 T. white vinegar
1/2 T. sugar

Mix together until potatoes are covered and evenly coated.  Garnish with paprika.  Serves 10.

Nutrition (calculated with Miracle Whip Light, of course!): 135 cal, 5g fat, 1g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 49mg cholesterol, 483mg sodium, 19g carbs, 2g fiber, 5g sugar, 4g protein, 5% vit. A, 16% vit. C, 2% calcium, 4% iron.



Linked up with Foodie Friday!

7 comments:

  1. I use reduced fat miracle whip too! I make mine similar but I don't add pimentos or bacon, it sounds delicious though! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy. I love potato salad, and also love Miracle Whip! Wish my chives were still in bloom, for I love to set the pretty purple blossoms on top of the salad. :-)

    Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never made great potato salad, but this recipe looks like I can change that. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lobe potato salad! That looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious. I never thought of adding pimiento to potato salad, but I'm going to try it!
    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where there is bacon, there can be no shame. (I just made that up) Looks like a winner to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fabulous! My recipe is similar, minus the celery seed, pimento, and bacon. What terrific additions! (We add sweet and dill pickles as well.) Printing yours...

    e-Mom @ Susannah's {Kitchen}

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails