Pages

Friday, September 24, 2010

stromboli



Well...hello beautiful.

If you are looking for a fast, easy, hearty, and family-friendly recipe, this is it.  I've always loved stromboli because it is so easy to make and so easy to adapt to my family's tastes.  It's so easy that this recipe was chosen to appear in Gooseberry Patch's Speedy Suppers cookbook.  I love it...I think you'll love it, too.

This recipe originally calls for a loaf of frozen bread dough.  Pull it out to thaw in the morning, and it will be ready to go when you make dinner!

As often happens with me, I forgot to pull my frozen dough out to thaw.  I needed an easy alternative to cover for my mistake, so I used my very simple pizza crust recipe - it takes five minutes to mix and only an hour to rise.  Use whichever method you prefer!


Once your dough has thawed or risen (depending on the method you chose), place it on a lightly floured surface and roll it out into a large rectangle.


Let your dough rest for a few minutes while you get together your fillings.  Here's where you get creative.  Think pizza toppings, and use whatever you think your family will enjoy.  I have made some amazing cheeseburger stromboli with cheddar cheese, ground hamburger, and onions.  Or, there's the Hawaiian style with mozzarella, Canadian bacon, and pineapple.

Today, I chose some fresh red pepper and onion...


...in addition to pepperoni and an Italian style cheese blend.


Place your desired toppings along the center of your dough, leaving room to fold over the sides (see the picture to see what I mean).  Don't be afraid to pile it high!


Fold the small ends in.


Then fold up the bottom.


Finally, fold the top down and pinch the dough together to seal it.  I find it helpful to lightly moisten the edges of dough as I fold it to make the sealing process easier.


Place your stromboli seam side down on a greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until it's lightly browned.

To serve, slice and top with your favorite spaghetti sauce!


Stromboli
1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed (or pizza crust recipe)
cheese, meat, and/or vegetable fillings of your choice
1 jar spaghetti sauce

On lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a large rectangle.  Place fillings down the middle of the dough.  Fold in the short ends, then fold the longer ends over the filling.  Pinch to seal.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.  Slice and top with spaghetti sauce.  Serves 6-8.

Nutrition varies.  For a lighter meal, choose reduced fat cheeses and meats like ground turkey or turkey pepperoni..or omit the meat altogether!  This can easily be made into a vegetarian meal.

This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday , Tasty Tuesday, and Tuesdays at the Table

11 comments:

  1. My dad would go nuts over this. He'd love it and load it up with all sorts of meat, cheese, eggs...He'd probably make a breakfast-style stromboli. Thanks for posting these recipes and all the really good step-by-step photos. You make cooking fun :) :) Have a lovely weekend. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe! Congrats on being chosen for Gooseberry Patch's Speedy Suppers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So that's what stromboli is! I had no idea. Sure looks good, and I bet, given the ingredients, our 20's-something son would even like it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so, i had stromboli at a restaurant last night & yours looks 20x better than the one i had. i need to try it! the other one was dry and very meaty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks awesome, and my family really loves stromboli. GREAT kid/teen meal, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Using pizza dough was such a great idea! As always - your pictures are to drool over!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, that looks heavenly!! I love stromboli, but have never tried to make it on my own. :) Visiting from Tasty Tuesday. Hope you'll stop by my blog to say hi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so heading over for dinner! Look at all that cheese!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love stromboli so much, and the pepperoni felling is my best this looks really yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM! This is definitely a Speedy Supper and one of our go-to meals because, as you said, you can whip it up in minutes and it's so easy to customize!

    Thanks for the Gooseberry Patch love too...we appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails