Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

braised pork chops

Picture compliments of ButterYum

Every time I thought about writing up this post, I started drooling.  Seriously, these pork chops are that good.

Most of the pork chops I've ever eaten in my life have been dry and tough.  I enjoyed pork chops for the most part, especially when my mom cooked them (she did a pretty good job), but I would have never considered making them for company.

Not until this recipe, that is.

This recipe transformed my definition of pork chop.  These are tender, juicy, bursting with flavor, and absolutely delicious.  They are perfect for a dinner party, especially served alongside vegetable couscous This, my friends, is what a pork chop should be!

First, combine 1 teaspoon of rubbed sage, 1 teaspoon of crushed rosemary, 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and rub on both sides of 4 boneless pork chops.  (I recommend using the thinner pork chops for this recipe, although I've also made it successfully with thicker ones.)  Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a nonstick skillet, and brown both sides of the pork chops.


Remove the pork chops from the skillet momentarily so that you can pour in 1/2 cup of wine.

(ps - sorry for the really bad picture that you are about to see...I've never successfully taken a picture while deglazing a skillet!)


Bring the wine to a boil, and add the pork chops back to the skillet.  Reduce the heat and cover, letting the pork chops simmer for 8-10 minutes or until they are cooked through.  Occasionally, lift the lid and baste (or just flip them over).


Once the pork chops are cooked through, remove them to a serving platter and keep them warm.  Add the remaining 1/4 cup of wine to the skillet and bring it to a boil.  Use your spatula to loosen up any browned bits from the pan - stir those around (that's flavor, people!).

Cook the wine, uncovered, until the liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup.  Pour this over the top of your pork chops and serve.


Did I mention that this recipe is easy?  Because it is.  It's incredibly easy and quick to whip up.  Do yourself a favor and try it someday soon!

Braised Pork Chops
Adapted from Taste of Home Light & Tasty 2003

1 t. rubbed sage
1 t. crushed rosemary
1 t. minced garlic
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
4 boneless pork chops
1 T. butter
1 T. olive oil
3/4 cup dry white wine, divided

Combine the sage, rosemary, garlic, salt, and pepper; rub over both sides of the pork chops.  In a large nonstick skillet, brown both sides of pork chops in butter and oil.  Remove and keep warm.

Add 1/2 cup wine to the skillet; bring to a boil.  Return the pork chops to the pan, reduce heat, and cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes, basting occasionally.  Once pork chops are cooked through, remove them to a serving platter and keep warm.

Add remaining wine to the skillet.  Bring to a boil and loosen any browned bits on the bottom of the skillet.  Cook, uncovered, until the liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup.  Pour over pork chops and serve immediately.  Serves 4.

Nutrition: 232 cal, 11g fat, 4g sat fat, 79mg cholesterol, 383mg sodium, 1g carb, 0g fiber, 24g protein.

Linked up with Foodie Friday!

17 comments:

  1. Okay...this recipe looks really good. Now, do you suddenly find your friends just "happening to stop by " your home right as your serving dinner? Yummy recipe :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These do look delicious! I normally prefer to use pork tenderloin and I can imagine they would be equally as good in this recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!!! I have been seeing pork everywhere and we just had some great chops tonight. We've got more in the freezer and this recipe looks like it would go over great in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! Another recipe that will use my rosemary! I grew it in my garden last summer, wintered it over last year, then set it out again this summer. If my son is watering it while I'm gone, I'm hoping it will be alive so I can overwinter it again this year.

    So sorry to hear about your 90 degree weather! But I'll be thinking of that when we're 40 below zero!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The herbs you used sound fantastic. I have never braised them either, but this sounds so easy and your photos sure scream, lucious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great dinner! I love pork chops and look forward to trying this:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you've certainly convinced me to give this recipe a try. I love to cook pork - I think we eat it more than any other meat.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum yum!! Looks wonderful! What did you serve as sides?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm drooling right along with you. These look absolutely delicious. It's a pleasure to "meet" you through the Gooseberry Patch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also have a problem with dry pork chops. But, I've never thought to braise them. I'll have to try this next time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by - this looks de-lish!

    Ramona
    http://create-with-joy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just had to stop by to tell you that I made these last night and LOVED them! I used chicken stock instead of wine, and made a quick pan sauce with the leftover juices, and WOW, will definitely be making these again and again. Yummo!

    I've done a lot of pork posts lately, but eventually I'd like to blog about the recipe. I'll be sure to post a link back to you, of course. :)

    Take care,
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  13. Howdy - send me your email and I shoot over the photos you requested.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, I like. Not as much as I like the pork chops though.

    ;)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kristen - I shared this recipe with a friend and she loved them too. I can't wait to make it again!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails