Pages

Saturday, October 2, 2010

merlot steak and veggies


I had some brilliant plans for dinner last night.  I was going to make beef bourguignon, and it was going to be delicious.  I bought the meat the day before and stuck it in the fridge...when I pulled it out the next day I was very, very sad.

Meat was spoiled.  Plans were spoiled.

Bye bye bourguignon.

Time for plan B!

I had some ground turkey in my freezer as well as fresh mushrooms, baby carrots, green pepper, and beef broth.  I also spied a bottle of unopened Merlot. The dish that emerged from these ingredients was a fabulous one-skillet meal...I didn't even miss the beef bourguignon!

First, I formed the ground turkey into patties, sprinkled with salt and pepper, and browned both sides in a nonstick skillet.  I think next time I make this, I'll use a more fancy meat...ground turkey is just too hum-drum for what comes next (although it still tasted great).



I threw some button mushrooms, baby carrots, and green pepper wedges in the skillet around my meat.  I poured in the can of beef broth and a splash of Merlot (about 1/2 cup), and then I sprinkled generous amounts of crushed rosemary and rubbed sage.  I brought the liquid to a boil and then covered and simmered for about 10 minutes, or until the meat was done.


I removed the meat and veggies to a serving platter to keep warm, making sure the veggies were tender before removing them from the broth.  Then, I let the broth continue simmering, uncovered, for another 5 minutes.


And now for the best part...and I don't even have pictures!  ack!

I mixed 1/2 cup Merlot with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and added it into the broth.  I let it simmer for about 1 minute, until it thickened up nicely.  The result - a beautiful and flavorful Merlot sauce.

Serve the meat and veggies over mashed potatoes and top with the Merlot sauce.  I also sprinkled on a small amount of salt and freshly ground pepper to complete the meal.  Delish!


So...my question to you...

when I make this again, what cut of meat should I use?  I can't wait to hear what you think!

Merlot Steak and Veggies
1 lb. ground turkey
1 green pepper, cut into chunks
1 cup baby carrots
1 cup button mushrooms
1 can beef broth
1 cup Merlot, divided
1 heaping teaspoon each of sage and rosemary
1 T. cornstarch
salt and pepper, to taste

Form turkey into five patties.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then brown both sides in a nonstick skillet.  Add vegetables, broth, 1/2 cup Merlot, sage, and rosemary to the skillet.  Bring to a boil, and then cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until meat is cooked through and vegetables are tender.  Remove meat and vegetables; keep warm.  Continue simmering broth for another 5 minutes or until it reduces by half.  Mix together remaining Merlot and cornstarch; pour into broth and simmer for 1 minute, or until thickened.  Serve over meat and vegetables.  Makes 5 servings.

Nutrition: 206 cal, 8g fat, 2g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 72mg cholesterol, 390mg sodium, 7g carbs, 1g fiber, 3g sugar, 18g protein, 88% vit. A, 47% vit. C, 3% calcium, 10% iron.

This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday , Tasty Tuesday, and Tuesdays at the Table

6 comments:

  1. I think it sounds wonderful with the ground turkey. Although, I am partial to it as we eat it all the time. A nice steak is good though. This is more like a fancy bunless hamburger. I love it! Very low carb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a smart solution! I would love this just with the ground turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW...this looks terrific! I have an open bottle of Merlot and although I have no ground turkey, I do have some ground beef thawed :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Alcohol is creeping back into my house now, and this would be great to try!

    Ground turkey sounds wonderful... but I have some venison steaks I may use instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's comfort food!! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails