Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

my new favorite soup


I think I may have just found my new favorite soup.

I can't begin to tell you how good this is!  It's got so many colors and flavors and textures that it's a pureed soup lover's nightmare.  Maybe that's why I like it so much...I'm not really into pureed soup.  I believe all soups should have character.

My friends...this soup has character.

With delicious chunks of squash, savory sausage, the bright color of peas and green pepper, and the added surprise of hominy, this soup is a winner!

First, the squash.  I chose a butternut, although I encourage you to be creative.  I can only imagine how amazing an acorn or banana squash would taste in this.  Use what you've got in the garden!

The hardest part of this entire recipe is prepping the squash.  Ultimately, you want to cube it.  To do that, I lopped off the top and began slicing it.



Then, I cut the skin off.



Then, I chopped it into small cubes.  I'm sure there's probably an easier way, but that's what worked for me.  If you have a way that works better, let me know!


Once your squash is prepped, it's time to make the soup.  First, prepare your meat.  I used a pound of regular ground turkey and a pound of Italian-style ground turkey (I'm trying to keep the hips in line, after all).  You could also go with pork sausage, sliced kielbasa, ground beef, or just unseasoned ground turkey all the way around (if you go with all unseasoned meat, you might need to add more seasonings later on).

Whatever you pick will taste amazing, I guarantee you.  So, grab two pounds of meat and brown it in a large stock pot.



 Toss in some chopped green pepper (and onion if you'd like).  Cook for about 5 minutes until it's crisp-tender.



Add 2 boxes (8 cups) of chicken broth.  Go with the low-sodium variety...it's better for you!


Toss in your cubed squash and some spices - I chose a teaspoon each of cumin and oregano and a tablespoon of chili powder - and bring everything to a boil.  Let it simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the squash is tender when you pierce it with a fork.



And now for my favorite part!  Add about a cup of frozen peas (no need to thaw first) and three cans of hominy.  Never heard of hominy?  You must try it!  It looks similar to corn, but has a wonderful (almost buttery) flavor and a nice rich texture.  Grits = ground hominy.  If you are scared of it, you can always substitute corn...but I don't recommend it.  Hominy is just too good!

I chose to use both white and yellow hominy...I like color!



Once you add the last veggies, simmer until the peas are cooked and everything is warmed through.  Taste it, and add as much salt and pepper as you think you need.



 Enjoy!  This is the perfect fall soup, and it tastes amazing with cornbread or even served over tortilla chips!  Incredibly filling and bursting with flavor, this soup is a true winner.
  

Fall Hominy Stew
(Inspired by Boil & Bubble Soup Cauldron in Gooseberry Patch's Halloween)

2 lbs. ground turkey (or sausage, kielbasa, etc.)
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped (optional)
1 large butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled and cubed
1 T. chili powder
1 t. each oregano and cumin
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 cans hominy, drained
1 cup frozen peas
salt and pepper to taste

Brown meat in a large stockpot.  Add green pepper and onion and cook for about 5 minutes, or until tender.  Add broth, spices, and squash, and bring to a boil; simmer for about 15 minutes, or until squash is tender when pierced.  Add hominy and peas and simmer until heated through.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Serves 12.

Nutrition: 247 calories, 7g fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 60mg cholesterol, 683mg sodium, 27g carbs, 5g fiber, 3g sugars, 18g protein, 171% vit. A, 48% vit. C, 8% calcium, 17% iron.

Linked to This Week's Cravings: Soups!

12 comments:

  1. Looks pretty yummy to me. I am willing to give it a try. It's sounds perfect for a Fall dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man that looks good! I forwarded it to my husband because he likes to make and eat soup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious. I don't know if I can even find hominy around here. Looks hearty! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum yum - this does look like the perfect fall soup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, this looks so yummy! The combo of sausage and squash can;t be beat - sweet, savory and tasty! So glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love butternut squash is just about anything. This sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks so delicious...love to try it. thanks for sharing your recipe. happy halloween! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to try this soup. Perfect for these cold fall days:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is wonderful! I love butternut squash in soup. It is awesome.! Thanks for stopping by.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. I notice that the pictures are very nice. Did you take pictures yourself or from the web? Now I am getting hungry just looking at them lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is perfect comfort food for our Beat the Winter Blues link party. Come link up! http://goodbycityhellosuburbs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails