Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

pesto spaghetti squash

Right now, I'm still tramping through New Zealand.  (Vocab alert - "tramp" is the New Zealand word for "hike"...I love it!)  Many thanks to Kristen from From My Tiny Kitchen for being our guest writer for today.  I can't wait to try what she's dished up!



I am happy, thrilled, excited, elated to be a Delightful Country Cookin' guest writer!

We met in high school on a 4-H trip, became immediate friends and pen pals, and have been best buds since - blogging, sharing blog tips, recipes and now our new joint blog party :) Even though we have never lived close together and maybe see each other once a year - I miss her dearly. It's an honor to be featured on her 'delightful' blog!

Pesto Spaghetti Squash


This simple recipe is incredibly versatile! It makes a great holiday side, pasta substitute, and healthy addition.
  • 1 medium spaghetti squash {approx 1- 1 1/2 lbs}
  • 3 Tb pesto
  • 1 Tb chopped onion
  • Salt and pepper
  • Sprinkling of mozzarella or Parmesan cheese

  1. Carefully cut squash in half, lengthwise, and remove all seeds. Smells like raw pumpkin - yum!
  2. Place open sides up, on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and onion. {I used 1 Tb onion flakes.}
  3. Bake for 1 hour at 425 degrees. The meat of the squash will be soft when poked with a fork; like you're testing potatoes!
  4. Let cool for 5- 10 minutes so they will be easier to handle. Drag a fork through the squash to bring out the 'noodles.' Scoop into a medium bowl; combine with pesto. Spoon filling back into shells and sprinkle with cheese.
  5. Bake for 10-15 minutes longer till warm throughout and cheese is melted.

Notes:
  • Prep in advance is easy: Complete steps 1-4. Store in air tight containers or covered with plastic wrap 1-2 days. Sprinkle with cheese and bake just before serving.
  • Use as a complete pasta substitute - add marinara and extra cheese!
  • Re-using the shells as serving dishes makes for a festive touch at the holiday dinner table.

5 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous looking dish. It took me a while to get use to the texture of spaghetti squash, but I'm now a convert. This sounds wonderful. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you know I just bought a spaghetti squash, well of course you didn't, but that is why I am here, looking around for a great recipe, thanks so much for yours. Going to be really good, and I even have a nice jar of pesto from GF, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe looks really simple and delicious. I'm a vegetarian and I'm always looking for simple, vegetarian recipes. I've been wanting to try the spaghetti squash for awhile, but didn't know where to begin. Thank you for sharing this recipe and including pictures. Makes it seem far less intimidating. I'm ready to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! What a great way to serve spaghetti squash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so making this with my next spaghetti squash! It looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails