Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

schnicker doodles


I admit it...I've been a sugar nut!  What is it about the last few days of December that makes us want to stuff our faces with as much junk food as possible?  Meanwhile, we tell ourselves that we're going to give it all up cold turkey on January 1st...HA!

Well, in the spirit of the annual sugar binge, I'm going to post one of my favorite (and most famous) cookie recipes.  These are seriously the. best. schicker. doodle. cookies. ever.

I mean it.


I actually made these as a gift for a friend...more specifically, I made these as a gift for my work-out partner.

Yep, that's right.  Sabotage. :-)  Gotta make sure she's eaten as much as I have before we hit the gym again.


First, cream together 2 sticks of butter, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and 2 eggs.


Add a teaspoon of vanilla and mix well.


In a separate bowl, mix together 2 3/4 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons cream of tartar, and 1 teaspoon baking soda.  Then, pour your flour mixture into the butter mixture and mix well.


Very important step - chill the dough!  Put it in the fridge for at least an hour, if not overnight.  Very. very. important.

To bake, grab a greased cookie sheet and your chilled dough.  In a small bowl, combine equal parts of cinnamon and sugar (I use 2 tablespoons of each).


Roll the dough into a small ball, and then roll it around in the cinnamon/sugar.



Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.  When you pull them out of the oven, the tops should look cracked...like this...


After a few minutes of cooling, they will flatten out into rounds of deliciousness.


You should note that I like mine especially soft - my husband considers them slightly underdone and prefers cookies that have been cooked for 12 minutes.  You should choose the cooking time that you like best.

Either way, these are addicting!


Schnicker Doodles
2 sticks butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups flour
1/2 t. salt
2 t. cream of tartar
1 t. soda
1 t. vanilla

Cream butter, sugar, and eggs.  Add extract and sifted dry ingredients.  Chill.  Make into small balls and roll in following mixture:

2 T. sugar
2 T. cinnamon

Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for approximately 10 minutes.



4 comments:

  1. You can't beat a good snickerdoodle cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love snickerdoodle cookies - they are my husbands favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son LOVES snickerdoodles. I don't have a "go-to" recipe and am anxious to try yours. Have a Happy New Year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband has never had snickerdoodles! I need to make some for him.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails