Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

bittersweet chocolate pudding

There's a new love in my life.


Oh my goodness, this stuff is sooooo good.  I've already made it twice this weekend.  The last time I made it, I couldn't even wait for it to cool down.  I burned my tongue licking the hot saucepan, and I ended up sporting chocolate smudges all over my face.  It's that good.

I first found this recipe on Tasty Kitchen.  The original, submitted by ericalea, calls for whole milk and egg yolks, and that's what I made the first time.  It was amazing.  But, the second time I made it, I decided to try lightening it up with 2% milk and egg substitute...still amazing!  I'm sure that it would work just fine with fat free milk or even a dairy free milk (certain types of dairy free milks...almond milk, soy milk, etc...tend to work better than others, so if you have success with one be sure to leave a comment to let me know what you used!).

The ingredient list is quite simple... 


Combine the cornstarch, cocoa powder, salt, and sugar in a saucepan.  With 1/2 cup of sugar, the pudding tastes slightly bittersweet.  Feel free to add a bit more sugar if you like things on the sweeter side.  You could also use any number of other sweeteners, if you are into that sort of thing.


Mix together 2 cups of milk with either two egg yolks or 1/2 cup of egg substitute (like Eggbeaters).


Pour the milk slowly into the saucepan, whisking as you go.  Make sure you get everything thoroughly mixed, and then turn on the heat to medium.  Whisk the whole time that you are cooking to make sure that the pudding doesn't burn.  Once it begins to boil, continue stirring and cooking for another minute.  Then, remove from the heat.


Stir in about 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.  If you want to get crazy, you might try dropping in a bit of almond or peppermint extract...yum!


This recipe makes 4 delicious servings of pudding that you should definitely eat when it's hot.  I wouldn't actually know what it tastes like when it's cold...I never have waited that long!


Bittersweet Chocolate Pudding
adapted from Tasty Kitchen
2 T. cornstarch
1/8 t. salt
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups reduced fat milk or milk substitute
1/2 cup egg substitute
2 T. butter
2 t. vanilla

In a medium saucepan, whisk together the cornstarch, cocoa powder, salt, and sugar.  In a separate bowl, combine the milk and egg substitute.  Gradually pour the milk mixture into the saucepan, whisking until thoroughly mixed.  Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to boil; boil for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.  Serves 4.

Nutrition (calculated with 2% milk, egg substitute, and Smart Balance Light): 245 cal, 7g fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 10mg cholesterol, 221mg sodium, 40g carbs, 2g fiber, 32g sugar, 9g protein, 14% vit. A, 0% vit. C, 17% calcium, 9% iron.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, that does look good. I had this basic Chocolate Pudding recipe that I got from a Martha Stewart Living magazine..I made that all the time when I lived in Norway...but this looks really good too. Yeah, I can't wait for it to cool down either!!! It's so good!!! Chocolate pudding ..yum ..In fact, chocolate pudding is so much tastier on cake then frosting ;) :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! Stick that in some popsicle molds and you'll have fudgesicles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my mom's recipe - that's what I grew up on! I've always said that sound mental health has a direct correlation to homemade pudding consumption. We make it with 1 Tbs/1 tsp butter-vanilla, and 1/3 cup sugar instead of 1/2. I always make it with skim milk and egg yolks, and it comes out beautifully, though definitely less rich than with whole. This was the first dessert I ever learned to make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Variations (which are delicious cold):
    *leave out the cocoa for vanilla pudding
    *no cocoa, add coconut & mini choc chips to the bottom of the bowls for "mounds pudding" (or toast the coconut and put it overtop!)
    *no cocoa, slice bananas at the bottom of bowls
    *no cocoa, sub brown sugar for white + a little extra butter for caramel/butterscotch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, Elissa, thanks for the suggestions! I am SO trying "mounds pudding", and I've been meaning to try to make a butterscotch (that's my absolute favorite).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like perfection--both my sweet-tooth and my resolutions are satisfied!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum yummy! I love making pudding from scratch, so much more depth of flavor. And so many possibilities! Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails