Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

chocolate pecan breakfast rolls


Over the holidays, I gained at least five pounds.

These are part of the reason why. :-)


There's nothing special about these breakfast rolls, really.  I had intended on making cinnamon rolls when I noticed that I had leftover chocolate pecan pie filling sitting in my freezer.  Right next to that pie filling, I saw a loaf of frozen bread dough.  And that's when the light switch turned on...

I thawed out the bread dough overnight.  In the morning, I rolled out the dough on a lightly floured surface.


I spread about one cup of the chocolate pecan pie filling evenly over the top of the dough.


Then, I rolled it up!  It was an absolute mess...but aren't most great recipes?


I cut the rolled dough into slices about 1-inch thick and placed them into a sprayed baking pan.


Then, I baked at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until they looked like this:


YUM!

After baking, they just needed one thing...cream cheese frosting!  I whipped eight ounces of cream cheese until it became nice and smooth, and then I slowly started adding powdered sugar.  I snuck little tastes here and there until the ratio of sugar to cream cheese was just right.  Then, I slathered it all over the hot rolls.


It really was a delightful breakfast and such a nice change of pace from the traditional cinnamon roll.  Have you been inspired to try variations on the cinnamon roll?  I'd love to hear the flavor combos that you all have come up with!

7 comments:

  1. Oh my Goodness! These would be a great reason to get up in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I wanted to gain 5 lbs, this would be a fantastic way to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, I think I gained 5lbs just LOOKING at this post. But how yummy! I just want you to know that I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! It's just a cute little meme. If you want to accept head on over to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, goodness, that looks divine!!! ..and I do love cream cheese frosting, too :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this one looks really good!! Do you still have leftover? I was just formed that I need to go to school next Wed...

    ---yulian

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to use ingredients that you have on hand!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails