Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

let's talk cranberries


Cranberries?  Isn't it a little late to be discussing cranberries???

Yes, yes, I recognize that most of you have already had your cranberry sauce with Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners and don't plan on eating it again until next year's Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.  But, it's something I had to talk about for a few reasons. 
  • First, I haven't gotten to post about my Christmas cooking adventures and feel the need to get this off my chest.  
  • Second, cranberries aren't just for the holidays!  This cranberry sauce would be an amazing addition to yogurt, cheesecake, turkey sandwiches, etc.  It's so full of good nutrients, why should we only eat it on Turkey Day?
  • Finally, I have a recipe I'm going to share with you on Monday that requires...yep...this cranberry sauce.  
It's important.  It just is.


I was never a fan of cranberry sauce from a can.  Fortunately for me (and all who are like me), this fresh cranberry sauce is amazingly easy to make and only takes minutes.  It also tastes worlds better than the canned stuff.

Grab 16 ounces of fresh cranberries (frozen will do if you absolutely can't find fresh ones), 1 1/2 cups of water, and an orange. 


Combine the cranberries and water in a large saucepan and add 2 teaspoons of grated orange peel.  Bring this to a boil, and let it boil for about 5 minutes (until the skin pops on the cranberries).  While it's boiling, go ahead and eat that orange...it will keep you from getting scurvy (or so the history books tell me).



Remove the cranberries from the heat and add the rest of the ingredients.  Stir well and refrigerate until cool. 


YUM.  What else is there to say?


Cranberry Sauce
16 oz. fresh (or frozen) cranberries
1 1/2 cups water
2 t. grated orange peel
dash allspice and cloves
10 drops orange extract (or about 1/4 teaspoon)
1 cup sugar

In a medium saucepan, bring cranberries, water, and orange peel to a boil.  Boil until skin of berries pops open, about 5 minutes.  Remove from the heat and add remaining ingredients.  Mix until thoroughly combined.  Cool in refrigerator before serving.  Makes 2 cups.

7 comments:

  1. After the holidays I got a bunch of bags for 49 cents! I love that you can just throw the bag in the freezer and use throughout the year. I mix them straight from the freezer in with my oatmeal while it cooks but I also made a bunch of sauce so I can mix it with my yogurt (use less sugar than normal sauce and use honey). Cranberry is great all year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, YUM!! When someone tells me they don't like cranberry sauce, I ALWAYS assume they've only eaten it out of the can :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I have a new love and appreciate for cranberry anything, this looks wonderful.

    I love the comment from the previous comment about buying cranberries cheap after the holidays and freezing. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I, for one, love cranberries! But then again, Wisconsin is a cranberry state. Love whole cranberry sauce and orange. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Can't wait to try this!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog today. I'm happy to be part of the Featured Friday club! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crazy question but what are the BIG round yellow things on the left of the plate? They look delicious?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails