Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

baconed spinach

Be sure to enter to win a Gooseberry Patch cookbook - Mom's Very Best Recipes!  Winner announced on Tuesday!


Call me crazy, but I'd rather eat spinach hot than cold.  And, I use "baconed" as an adjective.  Someone really needs to lock me up.

This is my favorite way to eat spinach.  Why?  Two words - bacon. grease.  Yes, bacon makes the world taste better, and this dish is no exception!  Oh, and I haven't even mentioned the best part.  One serving (2 cups fresh spinach and 1 piece bacon) is only 58 calories and 3 grams of fat!

Cut up some bacon into small pieces and cook in a skillet until extra crispy.  You really don't need a lot of bacon to make this dish good...I often just use 1-2 pieces.  (ps...I apologize for the totally unappetizing photo...it's the bacon's fault)


Throw in a generous splash of red wine vinegar (up to 1 tablespoon).


Then, toss in some fresh spinach!  Use 2 cups of fresh spinach for each piece of bacon...at least that's what I do.


Stir the spinach around for about a minute, or until it wilts.  Serve immediately!  For a really crazy touch, try adding some corn.  It's a beautiful thing!

6 comments:

  1. I love bacon and spinach - we eat it with grits fairly often! Your picture is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks good. You're right. EVERYTHING is better with bacon :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heateher :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks good, and pretty. Great combination. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that brings back memories. My grandmother used to make things like this!! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Minus the red wine vin, this is also one of my favorite ways to eat it. I'm so glad you just reminded me of this great spinach recipe. Thank you for all of your yummy postings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this one looks great and very easy. I will try it!

    Yulian

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails