Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

chocolate hummus


I find it slightly ironic that I'm about to write a This Week's Cravings post on kid-friendly recipes when I don't even have a kid.  I am reminded of a certain scene in a Gilmore Girls episode where Sookie and Lorelai cater a child's birthday party.  Sookie makes lemon-garlic aioli, blanched veggies, and something that sounds like "gravlot" (it looked like fish).  For the cake, she concocted a chocolate cake with a rum raisin tropical fruit ganash.  When Lorelai very nervously asked her where the kid's food was, Sookie pointed to some very green-looking jalapeno-chipotle macaroni and cheese.

I am fully aware that hummus is not generally considered kid's food.  And, since I don't personally have a child, I recognize how absurd it is that I could claim any dish as kid friendly, much less one whose main ingredient is chickpeas.  Even so, I think that kids just might love this (as long as you don't tell them about the chickpeas, that is).  My taste buds aren't that different from a six-year-old's, and I can't get enough of it.  It reminds me of pudding...so much so, in fact, that I was considering substituting it for pudding in a dirt cup, just to make the "dirt" a bit more healthy.

So...the moral of this story...try this on your kids.  Don't tell them it has fiber...or antioxidants...or heart-healthy fats.  Don't tell them about the chickpeas or the olive oil.  Just tell them that it's chocolate pudding for them to dip their cinnamon-sugar Teddy Grahams in.  I'm sure they'll love it.


I have wanted to try this recipe ever since I saw it on Tasty Kitchen.  It's as easy as it sounds, although I don't recommend using a blender like I did (oh, the woes of not having a food processor).  I never could get it as smooth as a food processor would, but the taste didn't suffer one bit.

First, you make a paste out of cocoa and olive oil.


Then, you blend that paste with chickpeas, sugar, salt, vanilla, and a small amount of warm water.  Blend it until it's smooth (or, if you don't have a food processor, until you get tired of wrestling with your blender).


Serve this up with pita chips, fruit, cinnamon crisps, or whatever else you feel like dipping into chocolate.  Enjoy the heart-healthy goodness!


Chocolate Hummus
from Tasty Kitchen
3 T. olive oil
1/2 cup cocoa
15 oz. chick peas
1/2 cup sugar
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. salt
1-3 T. warm water

Make a paste with the olive oil and cocoa.  Place all ingredients (including paste) in a food processor and blend until smooth.  Serves 12.

Gluten-free variation: Use gluten-free vanilla and serve with fruit or gluten-free chips.

Nutrition: 113 calories, 4g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 18g carbs, 3g fiber, 8g sugars, 2g protein, 0% vit. A, 2% vit. C, 2% calcium, 6% iron.

Linked up with Gooseberry Patch's Recipe Roundup: Kids' Recipes!

Kid Friendly Recipes!
 


7 comments:

  1. I just put this on the menu for next week. I will try it with splenda instead of sugar. It sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum, I LOVE hummus and I'm thinking this tastes better than Nutella ;) :) I'll have to post a link to this on my Facebook page ;) :) Yum yum!!! Thanks for the recipe. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We make hummus constantly - this sounds wonderful. What a healthy treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to try this one...interesting

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum! i went downstairs immediately and threw this together! my kids really loved it. ironically, they all LOVE regular hummus (we live in the middle east).
    let me just be honest....we're always looking for a new vehicle for chocolate! lol
    thanks!!
    jeninabudhabi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made this, it was amazing. My little one would NEVER try beans or bean dip but when he heard us all ooohing and aaahing over it, he tried it. Now he wants me to make it for an upcoming party to fool the kids that it is healthy! Oh, and I used splenda instead of sugar and only 2 tbsp of oil and it was great! Yea, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails