Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

french toasted sandwiches

Note:  I've joined the world of Twitter!  You can click the button to the right to follow me (I think).  I'm still learning how it all works, so feel free to offer your help and advice!


These are just too cool!

They aren't exactly French toast...and they aren't exactly toasted sandwiches.  They're a bit of both (and mighty delicious, if I do say so myself)!

The inspiration for these came when I got the opportunity to review Nature's Pride's new bread - Hearty Wheat with Flax.  My husband takes sandwiches to work everyday, so I like to provide him with good bread.  I want stuff packed with whole grains, fiber, and natural ingredients.  He prefers store-bought bread for his sandwiches (as much as I've tried to convert him), so I'm always on the quest for a good product.


I think we've found a winner!  Nature's Pride Hearty Wheat with Flax is a 100% whole wheat bread made with pure olive oil.  It's got 22 grams of whole grains, and each slice contains 3 grams of fiber and only 100 calories.  Because of the flax seed it's also a good source of Omega 3's...something we especially need since we don't eat a lot of seafood.

Oh...I almost forgot...this bread tasted great!  Now...onto the recipe...

Because this is a lunch sandwich and not a "stuffed French toast" concoction, we're going to add some deli flavors to the outside of the bread.  The line-up?  Egg substitute, Dijon mustard, and Miracle Whip (or, if you prefer, regular mayo).  Combine 1/4 cup of the egg substitute with a tablespoon each of the mustard and Miracle Whip.


Go ahead and make your sandwiches.  We chose cheddar, turkey, bacon, and hot honey mustard...yum!


Spread your eggy mixture onto the outside of both sides of the sandwich.  Place in a preheated, greased nonstick skillet and cook until lightly browned on both sides.


Voila!  Delicious sandwich, great bread, fabulous new toasting method...delightful!


French Toasted Sandwiches
1/4 cup egg substitute
1 T. Dijon mustard
1 T. Miracle Whip or mayo

Combine the ingredients and spread on both sides of sandwiches.  Place sandwiches on a greased and preheated nonstick skillet.  Cook over medium heat, turning once, until sandwich has browned on both sides.  Makes 2 sandwiches.

Disclaimer: Nature's Pride sent me a loaf of their bread; however, the sandwich recipe and review of the bread are my own.  The recipe will work with any bread, by the way!  


P.S. I think my husband's a hottie. :-)

4 comments:

  1. what an awesome IDEA!
    I love the texture and heatiness of the natures pride line! It does make for an outstanding french toast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just started with Twitter, too. I'll follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Nature's Pride bread. I've loved every loaf I've bought. I'll have to look for this variety! And this sandwich looks fab!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails