Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

spinach lentil stew


Last week, I discovered lentils. :-)


I can't believe I've never had these before!  They are delicious, and this soup is the perfect (and easy) way to eat them.  It was so easy that there was no point in taking step-by-step photos.  I'm looking forward to more rainy days so that I can have this again!



Spinach Lentil Stew
from Taste of Home's Light and Tasty 2004
1/2 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. canola oil
5 cups water
1 cup lentils, rinsed
4 t. vegetable or chicken bullion granules
3 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. thyme
1/4 t. pepper
1 bay leaf
1 cup chopped carrots
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 T. red wine vinegar or cider vinegar

In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.  Add the water, lentils, bouillon, Worcestershire sauce, salt, thyme, pepper, and bay leaf; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Add carrots, tomatoes, and spinach; return to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until lentils are tender.  Stir in vinegar.  Discard bay leaf before serving.  Serves 6

Nutrition: 168 calories, 3g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g cholesterol, 1123mg sodium, 27g carbs, 10g fiber, 10g protein.

2 comments:

  1. Looks so hearty and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for a filling - yet healthy - lentil soup recipe. I think I just found it! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails