Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

german chocolate muffins


I love a good muffin...especially a good chocolate muffin!  These German chocolate muffins are deliciously light and moist.  They are also full of surprises - they only have five ingredients, are chock full of vitamin A, and are really not all that bad for you.  The majority of the fat is the good stuff that comes from the added coconut and nuts, not from eggs, oils, or butter...you can't beat that!  

The foundation for this recipe is a box of German chocolate cake mix and two cups of pumpkin.  That's right...pumpkin!


You could just stop after combining the cake mix and pumpkin and just bake that.  However, I wanted to make my muffins a tad bit more special, so I added a few more mix-ins - coconut, milk chocolate chips, and chopped pecans.


Spoon the thick batter into muffin tins and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Serve as muffins or top with German chocolate frosting for a delicious cupcake!


When Cookie Bandit saw me making these, he wrinkled his nose.  He wasn't so sure about the pumpkin. 
But then he smelled them cooking and saw me taking a big bite out of one.  He came over and took a little bit himself.  The next thing I know, he's eaten my entire muffin and is making his way towards the pan for more!  Suffice it to say, this recipe is definitely Cookie Bandit approved.


German Chocolate Muffins
18.25 oz. German chocolate cake mix
2 cups pumpkin puree
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips (optional)
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1/2 cup coconut flakes (optional)

Combine all ingredients and spoon into muffin tins.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Makes 18.

Nutrition per muffin (calculated with Betty Crocker's Super Moist German chocolate cake mix): 173 calories, 5g fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 1mg cholesterol, 245mg sodium, 30g carbs, 2g fiber, 16g sugar, 2g protein, 85% vit. A, 2% vit. C, 4% calcium, 7% iron.

Made without the chocolate chips, chopped pecans, or coconut flakes (and assuming it only makes 12 muffins without the added ingredients), the nutritional information amounts to 174 calories, 2g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0g cholesterol, 352mg sodium, 38g carbs, 2g fiber, 19g sugar, 2g protein, 127% vit. A, 3% vit. C, 5% calcium, 9% iron.

6 comments:

  1. Yum! I can not wait to try these! Never would have thought to use Pumpkin Puree. Did you use it instead of unsweetened applesauce?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I just used it in place of the oil, eggs, etc. that the cake mix called for! I imagine that you could use unsweetened applesauce, mashed bananas, or even prune baby food as well (for a slightly different flavor, of course). Pumpkin doesn't really add an extra flavor or extra sweetness - it just makes it really moist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look divine! Will be making these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, I use this trick all the time for my "pot brownies." No one knows the difference and often ask for my "secret."

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you think I can use apple sauce to replace pumpkin?

    --yulian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yulian - I haven't tried it, but I bet it would work fine. Other things that might work are avocado, prune baby food, mashed bananas, etc. I've just not tried anything other than pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails