Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

lentil chili



This recipe is delicious and was the perfect dinner to warm us up on the rainy weekend we just had.  It was a fast fix, but it smelled amazing while cooking!  I love that it's healthy and full of fiber, something I'm convinced Cookie Bandit needs more of in his diet.


Would I normally put lentils in chili?  No, of course not.  But this recipe is definitely worth it!  I love the idea of guilt-free chili!  Excuse me while I go eat a bowl...



Lentil Chili
adapted from Taste of Home's Light and Tasty 2003
1 lb. ground meat
6 cups chicken broth
2 cups lentils
15 oz. tomato sauce
14.5 oz. diced tomatoes, undrained
1 onion, chopped
1 T. chili powder
1 t. cumin
1/4 t. pepper

Brown meat in a large stockpot; drain.  Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.  Serves 8.

Nutrition (using ground turkey and low-sodium broth): 278 cal, 5g fat, 1g saturated fat, 45mg cholesterol, 918mg sodium, 35g carbs, 12g fiber, 25g protein.

6 comments:

  1. Yum! I do love me some lentil chili!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried lentil chili - sounds terrific,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how thick this is! I love a good thick chili, this looks great, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am wondering how this would be without the meat - truly a lentil chili. It sounds delicious but we are cutting back on meat. I think, I am going to try it meatless. It looks much too good to pass by.;

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh! I love lentils! I am looking forward to trying this recipe! I am your newest follower and would love it if you stopped by to follow me back! I am looking forward to linking up to your parties! Thanks! :)Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made this and it's awesome!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails