Pages

Saturday, July 14, 2012

baked spice donuts


I got a brand new donut pan for Christmas, and I've been dying to use it ever since.  I finally got the chance!  I went with baked spice donuts, despite the fact that they seemed to be more appropriate in the fall months (who doesn't love a spiced donut in the fall?).  They were delicious and perfect alongside a cup of hot tea.  I also love that they didn't break the calorie bank. :)

This donut recipe comes from Eat, Live, Run - you can always find great recipes and thoughts for life on that blog.  If you get the chance, definitely check it out.

(An aside...some spell it "doughnut"...that's cool.  I spell it "donut", just because I'm a rebel.  Thought I needed to explain.)

First, you mix together the dry ingredients and then cut in butter.  I used a pastry cutter to do this, but you could also use a fork.  If you are really ingenious, freeze your butter and then grate it into the dry ingredients.  That method makes life a whole lot simpler.


Stir in your wet ingredients until everything is well combined, and then pipe the batter into a donut pan.  I just threw my batter into a quart sized Ziplock bag and cut a hole out of one end.  I then pushed the batter out through the hole into the donut cups.  It was easy and mess-free.



Bake your donuts for about 15 minutes, and then sprinkle them with powdered sugar.  I like to use a strainer to sift powdered sugar evenly over the tops.


And voila!  An easy, quick breakfast.  So crank up the air conditioner, brew yourself some tea, and have a donut. :)


P.S. - Be SURE to use unsalted butter in this recipe.  Substitutes will simply not work...I've tried it!


Baked Spice Donuts
from Eat, Live, Run
1 cup flour
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice
2 T. cold, UNSALTED butter, sliced
1 egg, gently beaten
1/4 cups plain yogurt
1/4 cups scalded milk
powdered sugar (for sprinkling)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.  Cut in the cold butter, working with your hands to incorporate everything until the mixture feels like sand.  Pour in the egg, yogurt, and milk; stir to combine, being careful not to over-mix. Pipe into a donut pan and bake for 15 minutes, or until springy.  Sift powdered sugar over the tops before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails