Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

apple fritters with caramel sauce


Most days we eat a normal breakfast of cereal or toast.  But on weekends, I like to treat Cookie Bandit to something fun and special.  That's when I bust out the waffle iron or the muffin tin and try out all of those wonderful recipes I keep seeing online.  Recently, I found this one and boy was it a winner!


These apple fritters are incredibly easy to make.  I modified the recipe a bit by adding more cinnamon and some nutmeg, but no matter how you do it, it's sure to be a winner.  You just peel, core, and grate the apples; mix them with a bit of flour, milk, eggs, and spices; and then cook them like a pancake!


The best part about this recipe, though, has to be the caramel sauce that goes on top.  Oh my word.  I could just eat the whole bowl.  I'll probably make it again next time I want a clever topping for ice cream...it's that good.

I encourage making these soon while apple season is still in full swing.  The best apples are the freshest apples!


Apple Fritters with Caramel Sauce
adapted from Tasty Kitchen

For the apple fritters:
2 large Gala apples
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cups sugar
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
2-4 T. butter, for frying

Peel, core, and grate apples into a large bowl (do not drain).  Stir in milk, eggs, and vanilla.  Stir in all dry ingredients until just combined.  Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat.  Grease liberally with butter.  Brown batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto the hot surface.  Once edges have browned, flip to cook the other side.  Remove hot cakes to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.  Re-grease the pan with more butter and repeat until all the fritter cakes are cooked.

For the caramel sauce:
1/2 cups butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cream
1 dash salt
1/2 t. vanilla

Melt butter and sugar together over medium heat while stirring occasionally.  Let mixture simmer lightly until it starts to bubble and look foamy.  Cook this for 3-5 minutes.  Stir in milk, salt, and vanilla.  Turn burner off, but leave caramel sauce on the hot stove until ready to serve.


6 comments:

  1. Looks so delicious. I'll probably snack on the leftover pancakes throughout the day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought an apple fritter from a donut store and it was awful! I am going to have to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never eaten an apple fritter in my life! I can see I've been missing something amazing. Looks delicious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He I’m interested for page like yours.. a friend of mine promised that he will design it for me but I need web hosting he told me..I was searching for web hosting on internet and I found www.elcoplanet.com as with best comments for their service.. I also found they offer cheapest prices for web hosting …But I can see they are selling reseller alpha reseller master reseller web hsotign and I don’t know what to chose.. Does any of you have ever heard about www.elcoplanet.com or maybe use their web hosting service ? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear, I am glad to see your interest about our product and services, please note that www.elcoplanet.com offers lowest prices on the market for web hosting services, own equipment, dedicated and specialized 24/7 support. Here in Elco Planet we are working hard to provide best web hosting service. Please visit www.elcoplanet.com often and from time to time you may find discount coupons. Oh, I forgot to mention we offer unlimited web hosting space and unlimited bandwidth.
    Best Regreds
    Jennifer - Elco Planet Sales Representative

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hallo, never heard for www.elcoplanet.com and I can’t recommend them for web hosting my page is hosted on www.eaglehsot.info already 6 years, they have excellent support, fast web servers and also cheap, I am using Alpha Reseller from www.eaglehsot.info and I am satisfied

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails