Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

the cake that flopped

Remember these delicious whoopie pies?


Well...I had a brilliant idea.  Miss Pebbles first birthday was coming up, and I thought - what better than a Whoopie Pie birthday?  Instead of a smash cake, she and all of her little friends could eat individual whoopie pies.  The birthday invite would say, "Whoopie!  Pebbles is turning one!"  And for the adults, I had the most brilliant idea of all...

I would make a massive, adult-sized whoopie pie - three layers of chocolate and two layers of luscious marshmallow filling covered in a rich chocolate ganache.  Sounds delicious doesn't it?

Well, it was delicious!  The problem was that it didn't look quite like I had planned.


The chocolate cakes baked up perfectly.  The marshmallow filling and ganache were delicious.  But combining them all together proved to be possibly the biggest mess in culinary history.


The marshmallow filling so was fluffy and the cake so light that the top layer of cake just fell apart.  Without a firmer foundation, it cracked like the ancient ruins of Greece.  I thought the chocolate ganache would hide the cracks...um, no.  It just made them more pronounced.


By the end of the party, the top layer of the cake had completely split.  Each piece was sliding off the marshmallow like a tectonic plate on lava.  My tablecloth was covered in one ooey-gooey mess!


Even in the time it took for us to take photos, two sections of the cake had fallen off the stand and onto the table.


Fortunately, you can't judge a cake by its structural soundness.  Oooey-gooey chocolate and marshmallows equals absolute deliciousness.  Everyone loved it, and we've been enjoying the leftovers ever since...I've gained 3 pounds in 2 weeks!

As for Miss Pebbles, I'd say she had a good birthday. :)





3 comments:

  1. You are so brave to let us see your cake "mess". I am happy to report that I have had a few of these in my days too. Your daughter is gorgeous! I wish you and your family the very best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I think she's gorgeous, too. :) I say we display our cake messes proudly!

      Delete
  2. haha, this is so cute, and the cake looks delicious anyway, maybe even more ! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails