Pages

Friday, March 29, 2013

easter menu | favorite things friday



 Easter is almost here!  What a wonderful celebration of a miraculous event.

As a fairly new family, we're still figuring out what our Easter traditions will be.  Last year, Pebbles was too young to really enjoy it (let's face it - she slept right through it), so this year I'm excited to plan a big day that she'll be a part of.  The Easter bunny is going to visit us in the night and leave her a chocolate bunny (her first one!), a book, and some art supplies.  We're going to be filling plastic eggs with toddler snacks and having her "search" for them.  And, like most families, we're planning some delicious food.

We're going to kick off the day with Grandma's Buttermilk Waffles by Ambitious Kitchen.  We've never tried this recipe before, but it's one I've had bookmarked for a while.  We are a waffle-loving family, and these look absolutely delicious!

Picture from Ambitious Kitchen.

It wouldn't be Easter in my house without Deviled Eggs.  These are my husband's recipe, and he's always the one to make them from start to finish.  They are simple, straightforward, and some of my favorites.  If you want a basic deviled egg, this is the recipe to try.


Normally, I'd be content to forgo any vegetable in my Easter dinner, but since we're having company, I thought this Blueberry Tossed Salad would make an excellent side dish.  It's our favorite salad and has always gotten rave reviews from guests whenever we've made it.  Hopefully I'll be able to find fresh blueberries - they really make this dish.


For our bread, we're making this beautiful Challah by The Ivory Hut.  I had Challah once and thought it was some of the most delicious bread I had ever had.  With it's beautiful braided presentation, it will make a lovely addition to our Easter feast.

 Picture by The Ivory Hut.

At Easter dinner, you must have Glazed Ham, and this one looks amazing.  Pioneer Woman just posted it as part of her Food Network special, and I can't wait to try it out.  Her secret ingredient was Dr. Pepper!  I'm going to use root beer instead because root beer and ham go together like two peas in a pod.  Since we'll be at church in the morning, I'm going to try initially cooking the ham in a slow cooker and then transferring it to the oven once we get home.  We'll see how it goes!  I can't wait to try it.

Picture by Pioneer Woman.

For dessert, I've settled on a delicious Blueberry Vanilla Pie.  I created this recipe years ago, and Cookie Bandit just loved it.  It seems like the perfect spring dessert and the perfect way to end our Easter dinner.


Last, but not least, we're going to continue an Easter tradition that we started last year - cookie decorating!  I'm whipping up a bunch of Sugar Cookies using my new flower and Easter collection of cookie cutters.  I'm hoping our decorating skills have improved since last year, but I doubt it. :)


Happy Easter from our home to yours!



2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails