Pages

Friday, March 15, 2013

sandwich to go | favorite things friday


I've decided to start something a bit new.  I call it Favorite Things Friday.  Basically, every Friday I'm going to be posting about one of my favorite things.  It might be a recipe...a tip...a cute baby photo...something for the home...whatever!  But I'm looking forward to highlighting a few of my favorite things for you, and I hope to hear more about your favorite things in the process.

Today's favorite thing is a tip.  I love hot sandwiches, especially things like tavern burgers and sloppy joes.  But have you ever tried to take them to go?  Impossible!  It brings a whole new meaning to "sloppy" joes!

Recently, though, I've discovered an excellent way to pack up your messy hot sandwiches and keep them hot...with little to no mess!  


The trick, my friends, is all in the bread.  Rather than getting normal hamburger buns, buy yourself some whole hoagie buns or rolls.  You don't want them pre-sliced.

Cut the bun yourself, but don't slice it in half.  Instead, slice it about 1/4 of the way down from the top.


Then, hollow out the bottom half of the roll.  You can eat the leftover bread or take it to feed the ducks.  Doesn't matter.  The point is that you want to create a hollow bun (kind of like a bread bowl).


Spoon your hot meat mixture into the hollowed out bun and then top with the top slice.  The hollow portion allows the meat a place to settle without spilling out the sides.  Ingenious, I tell you!



Wrap the hot sandwich in foil and keep in a warm oven until it's time to go.  These are perfect to take to ball games, outings to the park, or just about anywhere.  Sloppy joes aren't so sloppy anymore!

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails