Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

fresh apple cake with cinnamon glaze


I am a lover of all things delicious.  And this fresh apple cake is oh my goodness delicious!  I keep trying to think of reasons to have people over for tea, just so that I can serve this cake.  This cake is single-handedly sabotaging my weight loss efforts.

It's just that good.


The best part about it has to be the warm cinnamon glaze that oozes into the pores of the cake and infuses every bit with that perfect pinch of sweetness and moisture.  Oh...and then there's the delicious apple flavor.  It's kind of like having apple cider in cake form.


I'll stop swooning over the cake and fill you in on how to make it.  Combine flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg.


In a separate bowl, combine butter, eggs, and vanilla.  Mix the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients, and stir until just moistened.

Then, core and peel three apples.  Many people prefer using tart apples for baking.  I'm a weirdo...I like the sweet ones.  Whichever apples you choose, the cake will taste delicious.

You also have a choice between how you prepare the apples.  I like the apples thinly sliced so that you have hunks of apple throughout the cake.  Hmmmmm, good!  Cookie Bandit, on the other hand, prefers the apples shredded so that the taste is there but not the texture.


Add the apples and some chopped pecans.  Gently stir into the batter.


Grease and flour a Bundt pan and spread the batter inside.


Bake at 300 degrees for 50-60 minutes (a toothpick inserted into the cake should come out clean).  Let it sit for a few minutes before inverting the cake onto a cake platter.  While it's still warm, whip up the cinnamon glaze and pour it over the top and into the middle.


This cake is definitely worth sharing - be sure to invite some friends over for tea when it's done baking.  Your house will smell amazing and I've never met company who didn't love a piece of this cake!



Fresh Apple Cake
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1 t. nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 3 apples, cored, peeled, and diced or shredded
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans

Mix flours, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg.  In a separate bowl, combine butter, eggs, and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and stir until just moistened.  Fold in apples and pecans.  Pour into a greased and floured Bundt pan.  Bake at 300 degrees for 50-60 minutes.  Let cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a cake stand.  Glaze while warm.

Cinnamon Glaze
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 t. to 1 T. cinnamon
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1/4 cup milk (add more to thin glaze, if needed)

Combine all ingredients and whisk until smooth.  Pour over warm apple cake.




13 comments:

  1. HELLO BESIDES BUNDT PANS WHAT CAN I USE FOR CAKE THANK YOU JN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it in any other pan, so I can't speak to its success in any other pan - it's designed for a Bundt pan. However, my best guess would be two loaf pans (kind of like if you were to make banana bread).

      Delete
  2. You are missing things in your recipe you wrote down. I just put this together and the batter came out dough like and looked nothing like your pictures. I should have gone with my gut and added some oil and sugar. But I didn't. I was so looking forward to having a cake, but now I just have a crumbled type mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops, Christina, you are right! I made a HUGE typo and completely left out the sugar!!! I'm sorry that you were the one to have to catch it and were left with a mess instead of a delicious cake. The recipe is fixed now (double-checked!), and I hope you'll try it again. It really is delicious.

      Delete
    2. Sweet! I will make it again, it really does look amazingly good! Thank you for fixing it. :)

      Delete
    3. Yay! I'm so glad. And don't hesitate to let me know if you see any other suspicious omissions in any of my other recipes. I have to write blog posts while simultaneously keeping a 1-year-old from climbing up the stairs, so sometimes I get a little scattered!

      Delete
  3. I totally understand that one! Thank you again for fixing it! Making another one right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got busy making this and the batter was more like dough...so I added milk. Will advise results.

      Delete
    2. Update on adding milk...yes, 1 cup. This cake us wonderful!

      Delete
  4. Jill G - how interesting! I'm glad the milk worked out for you. I agree that the batter is almost dough-like, but it makes a nice, dense cake in the end. I'm guessing it's a bit lighter once you add milk?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering if it would be okay if I used all white flour instead of the whole wheat?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made the cake today (halved all the ingredients). It was a great recipe, but i also missed seeing the addition of sugar in this recipe. Hadn't read the comments earlier else would ve known. Anyway went with my gut feeling and added sugar with the butter, vanilla and egg. i felt the batter was too doughlike too but didnt add water/milk. Next time might try adding that too. One suggestion is for u to mention its 300 degrees F instead of C so that first time bakers don't get confused. Although i am a regular baker somehow misunderstood and read it as 300 degrees C and almost got the top of my cake burnt too :(
    But loved the cake with all this too...will surely bake it again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made the cake today and added 1 cup of sugar instead of two. I thought it was plenty sweet, especially with the glaze. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails