Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

spinach casserole


This is one of those dishes that I grew up loving...I mean, I couldn't get enough of it!  Then I found out what was in it and was thoroughly confused.  It's got such an odd ingredient list, but it's so good!

I remember whipping up this dish when I lived in the dorms in college.  My friends saw me put spinach, cottage cheese, and cornbread mix into a bowl and thought I'd gone nuts.  A few vowed that they'd never try it.  And then they smelled it baking... :)

They tried it.  They loved it.  Just like I knew they would.


To make, thaw out a box of chopped, frozen spinach, and then squeeze it dry.  Combine it with a box of corn muffin mix (Jiffy is my favorite), cottage cheese, salt, eggs, and chopped onion.


Grab a 2-quart casserole dish and melt some butter in the bottom.


Pour the butter into the rest of the ingredients and mix well.  (Why do you have to melt the butter in the casserole dish first?  It greases your dish!)


Pour the batter into the casserole dish.


Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until it's golden.  When you insert a toothpick, it should come out clean.


Spinach Casserole
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 10 oz. box frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed
  • 8.5 oz. box corn muffin mix
  • 6 oz. cottage cheese
  • 1/2 T. salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 small onion, chopped

Melt butter in a 2-quart casserole dish.  Mix all other ingredients in a separate bowl.  Pour melted butter into batter; mix and pour back into casserole dish.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until brown and inserted toothpick comes out clean.


5 comments:

  1. No, our family recipe calls for 1/2 tablespoon of salt. You can always reduce that amount, though, to meet your own tastes. I think I generally just toss in about a teaspoon or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, thanks. I know T. means tblspoon, just wanted to be sure. I know some old time recipes (like a meat loaf recipe I have from the 1920s or so), call for a heck of a lot of salt -- too much by today's standards. I will probably make this dish tomorrow, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this right away and wanted to be sure to report back that it was great. I really liked this and will make it again. At first I lopped 1/2 stick of butter into the casserole dish, then thought wait a minute, so I revisited the recipe. So I lopped the other 1/2 stick of butter into the dish; but made a mess in the microwave when I nuked it too long, even with 40 or 50% power. I was busy assembling the rest of the recipe. Anyway, the butter browning on the sides of the dish add to its deliciousness. Yum, Yum, YUM!! Since my husband is not a big cornbread fan, I had leftovers to take with me to work, work, work!, which can be gently "roll-muffined" in the microwave. Love the recipes related to reminiscing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails