Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2013

cast iron fried apples


I first discovered fried apples while at a Cracker Barrel, and I was instantly hooked.  If you've never had them...well, you need to.  And the stuff in the can in your grocery store doesn't count.

This recipe is my attempt to copycat my favorite Cracker Barrel side dish.  I've previously made Bacon-Fried Apples (so delicious!), but bacon is expensive.  These fried apples are more like Cracker Barrel's and even easier to fix than the bacon-fried ones.  You bake them in the oven and finish them on the stove.

And no...you really don't need a cast iron to make these...but it does work nicely!

First, core and slice your apples.  I used 4 here, but you can use as many as you like and whatever kind that you like.  My rule of thumb - if you would enjoy eating the apple raw, then it works.  I prefer the sweeter, more apple-y tasting ones, myself.

Place your apple slices in a large skillet.  Cast iron works really well because it's just naturally nonstick and heats up so evenly.  Place pats of butter over the top of the apples (I usually allow 1 tablespoon butter per apple).


Bake your apple slices at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes, or until they are tender.  You don't want them so tender that they become mushy and disintegrate.  Just tender enough that they slide back off a fork when pierced.

Liberally sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over the tops.


Cook and gently stir on low heat, allowing the sugar, butter, and cinnamon to become one gooey syrup.  Once the sugar has dissolved into the butter, remove from heat and serve immediately!


This makes a delicious breakfast, side dish, or even dessert.  And it definitely fulfills any Cracker Barrel cravings!


Cast Iron Fried Apples
  • 4 sweet apples, cored and sliced
  • 1/4 cup butter, sliced into pats
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1-2 T. cinnamon

Place apple slices into a large skillet (preferably cast iron) and top with pats of butter.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until fork tender but not mushy.  Remove from oven and sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over top.  Over low heat, gently stir until sugar is dissolved and makes a syrup.  Serve warm.  Makes 4 servings.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made something close to this years ago. It is great over vanilla ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well hello there...
    Wow.. it's been forever since I've stopped by.. so sorry.

    I grew up on cooked apples like this. We had an apple tree in our backyard and my grandmother made these all the time.. LOVE THEM!!!!

    Hope to be back by again sooner than later...
    Have a great weekend
    Mikki

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that these things had to have smelled and tasted GOOOOD! Love fried apple!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails