Pages

Saturday, July 27, 2013

mom's meat loaf

 

What a crazy few weeks it has been!  Last week, my little Pebbles came down with the wonderful affliction known as hand, foot, and mouth disease.  (In case you couldn't tell, I was using "wonderful" sarcastically.)  Poor kid had a fever followed by a rash followed by blisters that formed on her fingers, toes, and in her throat.  She was pretty uncomfortable, and when baby is uncomfortable, ain't nobody comfortable!

This week my mother-in-law came for two whirlwind days of girl time - shopping, cupcakes, and lots of chit chat.  On Wednesday, I loaded up my baby girl, and she and I drove to Kansas to visit my parents.  We left Cookie Bandit at home...with hand, foot, and mouth disease!  Poor guy!  Fortunately, I seem to have lucked out.  Here's hoping that I continue to stay immune!


I just love going home.  There's something wonderful about visiting your parents - it kind of turns me into a kid all over again.  One of the things that I particularly enjoy is eating my mom's food.  It's not all special, but it's what I grew up with...and that makes it special to me.

This meat loaf is a quick fix - something Mom made on those evenings when she just really didn't have the time or inclination to do much else.  It's never the same because she never measures a thing!  It's not wrapped in bacon...it's not slathered in any special sauces...it would never win a cooking contest...but it's my mom's. :)


In a large bowl, combine a pound of hamburger meat, an egg, oats (or crushed saltine crackers), bell pepper, onion, tomato sauce, Worchestershire sauce, and generous shakes of salt, pepper, and garlic powder.


Using your bare hands, mix until well combined.  Place into a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray and shape into a loaf.


Bake at 375 for about 30-35 minutes, or until cooked through.  Drizzle with ketchup before serving.
 

Mom's Meat Loaf
1 lb. hamburger meat
3/4 cup oatmeal or crushed crackers
1 egg
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
8 oz. tomato sauce
1 T. Worchestershire sauce
salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.  Place into a baking dish coated with cooking spray.  Shape into a loaf and bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes.  Drizzle with ketchup before serving. 

Note: All ingredients and measurements are just estimates...Mom throws in whatever sounds good in whatever amount looks good!

1 comment:

  1. Your recipe sounds delicious! =)
    I love meatloaf and havent made it in a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails