Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Slow Cooker Braised Chicken


One thing that I love about the 4th of July is that it's full of BBQ beef, hearty potato salad, beans, pies, cookies, brownies, homemade ice cream, and enough cholesterol to last you for the next year. 

One thing that I hate about the 4th of July is that it's full of BBQ beef, hearty potato salad, beans, pies, cookies, brownies, homemade ice cream, and enough cholesterol to last you for the next year.

Yeah...it's a predicament.  I usually opt to go all-out on the 4th, eating to my heart's content.  But the day after, I go into a sort of detox mode.  By that point, my kitchen is a mess, I'm exhausted from staying up late watching fireworks, and all I crave are vegetables.

And that's why I'm sharing this recipe with you today.


This is an extremely healthy slow-cooker recipe that's full of vegetables and not calories.  It's also a snap to put together - I don't even thaw the chicken breasts before I dump them in!


You simply pile veggies (onion and bell pepper and garlic) on top of frozen chicken...


...pour a braising liquid mixture of broth, wine, and seasonings over the top...


...and then pile on some fresh broccoli an hour before serving.


The result is a delicious and beautiful meal that tastes fabulously fresh. 


Serve it over rice for a hearty but light post-4th detox meal. :)




Slow Cooker Braised Chicken
Adapted from Taste of Home Summer Slow Cooker Meals
  • 3 frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 red bell pepper, gutted and cored
  • 1 onion, quartered
  • 1 T. minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 t. thyme
  • 1/2 t. pepper
  • 2 cups broccoli florets

Place chicken in a 3 quart slow cooker.  Top with bell pepper, onion, and garlic.  Combine remaining ingredients except broccoli and pour over chicken.  Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.  Add broccoli; replace lid and cook an additional hour on low or until broccoli is tender.  Discard bay leaf.  Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails