Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2013

6th anniversary cast iron chili


My husband and I recently celebrated our 6th anniversary. 

As you may have noticed from previous years' posts, we like to celebrate the traditional anniversaries, although with our own twists.  So, for example, on the leather anniversary we went to the county fair (cows have leather, y'all!), Outback Steakhouse (again, cows), and Leatherby's Ice Cream shop.  We got each other leather gifts and had a grand old time.

The 6th anniversary is the iron anniversary...can you guess what we did?


We have been on a pretty tight budget, so we decided to have an evening of iron...cast iron, that is!  I made this delicious cast iron chili.  It's my take on Pioneer Woman's chili, and it is fabulous.  Check out the recipe below.  We also enjoyed cast iron cornbread, and a cast iron chocolate chip cookie for dessert.  It was a delicious day!


The food was delicious, although the anniversary continues to make us shake our heads in disbelief.  You see, just a few days before our anniversary, our laptop died (remember my loooooong break from blogging in September?  that was the cause).  I went to go find my old backpack to put the laptop in so that I could take it to the shop, and I found a bottle of wine in the backpack...it was called Irony! 
I laughed - how ironic that my husband chose to hide the wine in the backpack of all places...and on the morning that the computer died!

The ironies continued.  Two days before our anniversary, we found out that I was pregnant.  Ha!  I couldn't even drink the wine anyway.  Ironic!

Some very amazing and generous friends gifted us a new laptop since ours was dead.  It was the most generous gift I've ever been given...then, two weeks after we received it, my little Pebbles poured a huge mug of tea on top of it.  Laptop dead.  Ironic!  And so sad!


Since our anniversary, our home has become an electronics graveyard.  In addition to the two computers lost, we've also lost a cell phone, waffle iron, and now my camera.  That's kind of bad for a blogger, isn't it...ironic?

We also lost the pregnancy at 11 weeks...that was just a few weeks ago.


Let's just say that the last few months of our sixth year of marriage didn't treat us so well.  But our cast iron dinner?  Well, it was delicious. :)  Here's to six years of love and a lifetime more, no matter what life hands us!


Cast Iron Chili
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cooks
  • 1 t. garlic, heaping
  • 1 t. oregano
  • 1 T. cumin
  • 1 T. chili powder
  • 1 T. chipotle chili powder
  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 8 oz. tomato sauce
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1/4 cup masa
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 can Rotel tomatoes and chilies
  • 2 cans Ranch style beans

Brown beef with garlic and spices.  Add tomato sauce; stir well, cover, and reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.  In a small bowl, stir together masa and water; add to chili, stirring well.  Add remaining ingredients and any additional spices to taste.  Continue simmering for 15 more minutes or until desired temperature.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! Hoping that things start going a little easier for you in November!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a lurker on your blog for a long while and have never commented before. But, felt I needed to come out of hiding.

    I'm so sorry to hear about losing the baby. My sister just had our 1st niece in the family and she was 46 at the time of the baby's birth. She is now 47. I know we would have been devestated if we had lose our Zoie. She did arrive 6 weeks early.

    Once again, I'm sorry. Also, sad to hear about the original laptop and the replacement laptop.

    I like the theme you and your dear hubby use to celebrate your anniversary. Congrats on year # 6. Looking forward to hearing about many more of your anniversaries from you.

    Take care,
    Ramona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ramona, thanks for the sweet comment! So glad to meet a lurker. :) I'm so thankful to hear that your Zoie is alive and well - babies are such precious gifts. Hoping to hear more comments from you in the future! We LOVE comments around here.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails