Pages

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

slow cooker toasted pecans and pumpkin seeds


Did you know that you could toast nuts and pumpkin seeds in your slow cooker?  I didn't!  Well, that is, until I tried it.  It's now my favorite method - they always end up toasted evenly with lots of flavor, and if I forget them for a while, they don't get burned!

So here's how you do it...


Pour your desired amount of nuts or seeds into your slow cooker.  Add a tablespoon or two of olive oil (enough to lightly coat everything when you stir it) and some seasonings.  When I'm making nuts, I like salt, pepper, chili powder, and oregano.  When I toast pumpkin seeds, I stick with just salt.

Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 15 minutes, just to get everything nice and warm.  Then, take the lid off and continue cooking on high for a few hours (usually about 2), stirring occasionally, until everything is toasted to perfection.  I try to stir every half hour or so, but like I said...because the slow cooker is slow, you most likely won't burn anything if you accidentally let it go longer than that.

This is the perfect low maintenance way to create the perfect party appetizer!



Slow Cooker Toasted Pecans and Pumpkin Seeds
  • 2-4 cups pecans, pumpkin seeds, or other nut
  • 2-3 T. olive oil
  • seasonings (salt, pepper, chili powder, oregano)

Place all ingredients into a slow cooker and stir.  Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes; stir.  Uncover and continue cooking on high, stirring occasionally, until nuts or seeds are toasted to your liking (about 2 hours).

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails