Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

easy microwave butter toffee


Cookie Bandit is a HUGE fan of toffee.

For years, I have surprised him with homemade toffee from various sources - craft fairs, produce stands, fudge shops - but it's always so expensive that I have to keep those gifts few and far between.  On many occasions, I've wondered about the possibility of making it myself, but I tend to ruin any recipe that calls for a candy thermometer.  One of these days I'll figure it out...but this isn't the day.

So, you can imagine my utter glee when I found this recipe for a toffee that was both easy and made in the microwave!  I was thrilled, but I didn't tell anyone about it, still fully confident that I would manage to destroy it.

Well, looky here!


I DID IT!  This toffee is delicious, looks beautiful, and actually is easy!  Cookie Bandit was impressed with it, too.  No more buying toffee for us!

All you need to do is put some sugar, water, butter, and corn syrup in a microwave safe bowl.


Microwave it on high for 4 minutes...it will look like this.  Stir it up!


Microwave an additional 6 to 8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes, until it's thickened and golden...like this.  Add vanilla.


Pour the toffee onto a baking pan that's been covered in foil.  Immediately, sprinkle chocolate chips over the top.


Wait a minute for the chocolate chips to melt, and then spread them evenly over the top of the toffee.  Add some chopped walnuts for an added touch.


Let the toffee cool completely before breaking it into pieces.  This recipe yields an entire pound - enough for sharing!



Easy Microwave Butter Toffee
from Gooseberry Patch Christmas 10th Anniversary
  • 1 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 T. water
  • 1 T. dark corn syrup
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2/3 cup chopped walnuts

Line a 13"x9" baking pan with ungreased aluminum foil; set aside.

Place sugar, butter, water, and corn syrup in a large microwave-safe bowl.  Microwave on high setting for 4 minutes; stir.  Heat an additional 6 to 8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes, until thickened and golden.  Add vanilla; stir well.  Pour into prepared baking pan.  Sprinkle chocolate chips over top; spread melted chocolate.  Sprinkle with walnuts.  Let cool completely; break into pieces.  Makes about one pound.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails